cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nrvigneshbabu
Frequent Visitor

How can i update Created by Column using flow.

is there is any option that i can update Created by Column in Flow.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

There is no built in action that handles this, but you can use an HTTP REST call to change the created by field on an item.  The following blog discusses how to change Modified By, but it would be the same for Created By

http://johnliu.net/blog/2019/2/flowninja-hack-78-modifying-modified-by-and-modified-time-with-micros...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nrvigneshbabu ,

I did a test using the method provided by @Pstork1 , this can indeed change Created by, please refer to the following method:

209.PNG

Please take a try.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

21 REPLIES 21
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

There is no built in action that handles this, but you can use an HTTP REST call to change the created by field on an item.  The following blog discusses how to change Modified By, but it would be the same for Created By

http://johnliu.net/blog/2019/2/flowninja-hack-78-modifying-modified-by-and-modified-time-with-micros...

v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nrvigneshbabu ,

I did a test using the method provided by @Pstork1 , this can indeed change Created by, please refer to the following method:

209.PNG

Please take a try.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HI @v-bacao-msft @Pstork1 

In the above mentioned Scenario in "Compose" we are Providing a Static Data but i want the data dynamically. I am new to flow can you please tell me how can we update the dynamically.

Cheers

VIgnesh Babu

The first Compose contains the Claims property for a particular user.  If you have a way to get the user's email address (UPN) you can create the Claims value using Concatenation. Everything but the email address in that compose will be the same for each user.

@Pstork1 

I tried to get the created by values and tried running the flow. the flow failed and throw error like.

"The property 'formvalues doesnot exist on type' SP.data.listname "

can you help here.

Could you post a screenshot of the trigger for your flow and the action throwing the error?  Then I can try to help you figure out what is going wrong.

Capture.PNG

I don't see a screenshot of the trigger and could you post a screenshot of the definition of the action that is throwing the error, not the error itself.

I just noticed one other thing.  formValues should be an array that contains all the values you want to change. It looks like you've specified a number of other fields directly.  Those should be changed in a regular update action prior to running this one or need to be defined along with the author change in the array.

Correct i am updating values Using Send HTTP post.

If you are updating values for the item in an HTTP call then all the fields being updated need to be inside the array provided by formValues.  You are defining some of them seperately.

i tried that and i got the following error.

"status"400,
"message""Value cannot be null.\r\nParameter name: formValues\r\nclientRequestId: 1a290845-d9f4-4bc1-83db-ab6f29fd61ee\r\nserviceRequestId: b2a1f59e-4012-9000-f494-e36f7a7dca23",
"source""mysiteurl (replaced from actual url) 

Could you provide a screenshot of your full HTTP action?  Something isn't configured correctly, but there isn't enough information in the error message to tell what. I suspect one of the fields you are trying to update is being passed a null value.

Thanks It worked.

What i did was instead of formValues i was sending data as formvalues.

Got it.  Typos in capitalization are really hard to spot because your eyes see what they expect, not what you typed.  I didn't pick up on that from the error message either.  Glad you got it working.

Correct!! they are.. Thanks much for your help!! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI!

Very usefull, but how can I add a dynamic email? I tried with using variable, but its not working.

I also tried to make a string and put inside the variable, but still not working.

hello @Pstork1 ,

this works perfectly for a list but not for a library.... any idea how to deal with this issue?

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,340)