cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vynnettekj
Level: Powered On

How do I convert a word doc to PDF using Flow

This is my first time using Flow. How do I convert a word doc file to PDF using Flow?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JRitmeijer

Re: How do I convert a word doc to PDF using Flow

Hi,

We are about to make Actions available for Flow to allow all kind of documents to be converted, merged, watermarked, secured and OCRed via Flow. Would you like to participate in our beta programme?

Background, the company I work for makes a popular PDF Converter for SharePoint (on premise and Online), which works in SharePoint workflows but is currently being extended to work in Flow as well so it can be used with any system. 

What are you looking to do exaclty. Where does the Word document come from (SharePoint, Onedrive, Salesforce, dropbox)? Are you looking to convert other file formats as well?

14 REPLIES 14
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi vynnettekj,

You cannot use Flow to convert a word file to PDF format. Actually you don’t need flow to do this. You can directly save word file to .pdf format:

0.JPG

Best regards,

Mona Li

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
JRitmeijer

Hi,

We are about to make Actions available for Flow to allow all kind of documents to be converted, merged, watermarked, secured and OCRed via Flow. Would you like to participate in our beta programme?

Background, the company I work for makes a popular PDF Converter for SharePoint (on premise and Online), which works in SharePoint workflows but is currently being extended to work in Flow as well so it can be used with any system. 

What are you looking to do exaclty. Where does the Word document come from (SharePoint, Onedrive, Salesforce, dropbox)? Are you looking to convert other file formats as well?

vynnettekj

Thank you for your response.

Currently, we are using a form were the users are able to attach documents of any file type ( word doc, excel, power point, and pdf). Once the form is submitted, and email is sent to the approver, but the approver wants all documents received in a PDF format.  So i was looking for a way to convert the documents to PDF within the Flow process. So the approver receives the email with a PDF attachment

JRitmeijer

Hi,

What kind of form are you referring to? An InfoPath form that resides in SharePoint or some kind of other technology? A PowerApp perhaps?

Is your Flow currently able to access the individual attached files? e.g. for the purpose of sending them as en email attachment in Flow?

vynnettekj

We are using infopath within sharepoint.

Is your Flow currently able to access the individual attached files? e.g. for the purpose of sending them as en email attachment in Flow?

I will have to say no (not really sure). My Flow is simple, When item is created-> email approver.

The attachments are saved to a file share.

Hope that helps

JRitmeijer

If you want to convert the individual files that are attached to an InfoPath form then you need a way to extract them from the form, which can only be done programmatically and is quite tricky.

However, I may have a better solution for you. Our software can convert InfoPath forms to PDF INCLUDING all attachments, see this blog post. The resulting PDF file contains a representation of the InfoPath form as well as all attachments, all in a single PDF.

Does that sound like a solution that would work for you, or is it an absolute requirement to extract all attachments and save them as separate fiels in a separate folder?

Scottman777

Hi

Are you still looking for testers?

I need a solution that prints list forms  - New, Edit and Display - to PDF, and then send the PDF to email addresses both internal and external.

My forms are customised with Skybow Rich Forms.

I am also perticularly interested in OCR technology...

Thanks!

JW83
Level: Power Up

Could i please be added to the Beta testing programme as i am trying to achieve the same thing

JRitmeijer

Hi @Scottman777,

Your particular scenario (SharePoint lists to PDF) is something we are still working on, and expect to release in Q2/2017. The problem is that what you are trying to do is HTML to PDF conversion, something we already support. However, before we can convert your SharePoint page we will need to transparently log in to your SharePoint environment, something we cannot do yet (well we can, but it is undergoing testing).

OCR works today, see my other response in this thread for details about how to get started. Drop support@muhimbi.com a line if you wish to be added to a notification list.

JRitmeijer

Hi @JW83, @vynnettekj.

Apologies for the delay in getting back, but we were working out some last minute issues to make sure we provide a premium experience.

We are currently working with Microsoft to make our PDF Converter, Merging, Watermarking, Security and OCR facilities available to all Flow users. Until then you can install it manually by following the instructions at https://support.muhimbi.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002915647

We are keen to hear about your experiences so let me know (either in this forum, or by emailing support@muhimbi.com) how you get on.

Thanks in advance.

UB400
Level 10

@JRitmeijer I'm looking for a way to use flow to convert incoming e-mails (not attachments) but the e-mail itself to PDF, which can then be stored in a Document library.

Our use case scenario is that we need the e-mails to be read only, and should not be deleted, as they're part of an audit trail. As Site mailboxes and list mailboxes are no longer available in Sharepoint online, we're looking for alternatives.

Highlighted
JRitmeijer

Hi @UB400,

That should be possible, have a look at our tutorials.

If you get stuck, drop support@muhimbi.com a line, we love to help.

Jeroen

katonage
Level 8

There is a free PDF converter in the onedrive connector.
Get file content
Onedrive : create file
Onedrive : convert
Onedrive : delete file
Create file using content of the convert.
Works!
UB400
Level 10

@katonagethanks, I'll look into it, can't complain about free Man Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 4,481 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: