cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skylitedave
Level 10

How to allow/enable Actionable Approval Emails in Outlook connected to Office 365?

Hi,

I am using the new "Start and Wait for Approval ( v2)" action for approval workflows.  I am able see actionable emails if I log into Outlook.Com ( I can approve and add comments in the email) but I cannot see the actionable options in my Outlook Emails -  I only get buttons  that will take me to the approval center. 

I did some research and saw posts that suggested 3rd party email filters may be causing an issue, but we dont have any of those.  We are just using Office 365 and Outlook.  

Can someone please give detailed steps on what we should do to troubleshoot why we dont see actionable emails in Outlook connected to Office 365 without any 3rd party filtering or third party tools. It must be some setting in Outlook since I do see actionable emails in Outlook.Com.

We are using SharePoint lists and do not have rich text tuned on for any text columns.

Many thx in advance!

Thx! 

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: How to allow/enable Actionable Approval Emails in Outlook connected to Office 365?

Hi @skylitedave ,

All email sent by approvals contain both parts. Part1 is a specialized “actionable message”, and Part2 is a standard email message.

Only some email clients support the actionable section, and when they do support it I believe they prefer it. However, when displaying the actionable message the client also offers the “Show original message” link which allows the user to view the standard email message.

In your scenario, I guess you are using an email client that doesn’t support actionable email messages,  because it utilizes the specific Microsoft actionable message platform, not all email clients will support it.

Here is a doc could be a reference for you:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/actionable-messages/

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
skylitedave
Level 10

Re: How to allow/enable Actionable Approval Emails in Outlook connected to Office 365?

I am using the current version of Outlook (running in Windows) with Office 365.  Does Outlook support actionable messages?

If so, what steps are required to enable actionable messages when using Outlook. 

Where do we "turn on" actionable messages or what settings are need in Outlook to enable Actionable messages? 

I dont see the link to original message in Outlook, just the 2 links for approve or reject back to the approval center.  There are many posts about similar problems for many Outlook users 

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @skylitedave ,

As far as I know, actionable email message automatically shows up on the latest clients and is hidden or disabled for older client, which show the regular email viewing experience.

I have searched online for relative information, please check if the following doc will be helpful:

https://interopevents.com/uploads/2254324-Actionable%20Messages%20in%20Outlook.pdf

I am going to do more research on this issue. Please feel free submit it on Microsoft Office forum as well to see if you could get more help from there:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-us/home?forum=outlook

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
skylitedave
Level 10

Update.....

I purchased a new PC and installed a new instance of Office on that "clean" PC that included Outlook 2019.  Actionable messages work in that instance of Outlook...

This leads me to believe there must be a setting that needs to be "ticked" to enable actionable messages...  Or maybe an add-in is not enabled or colliding with actionable messages..

I will continue to dig around and see why actionable messages are not working in this version of Outlook 2016.  The version  having the issue and stripping the actionable messages is

• Outlook 2016 64 bit - version 16.0.4849.1000

Please let me know if anyone has come across this issue and what the fix is

Thx!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 184 members 3,938 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: