cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgoodrow
Level: Power Up

How to pass a file identifier to another flow

Trying to create sequential flows. I have one flow that is triggered off of a file being created in a sharepoint directory. Based on properties of the file, I would like to then trigger a second flow on that file.

Under actions there are Flow Management options, but there doesn't appear to be any way to pass the file in question TO that second flow. Does anybody have any input on how to pass variables from one flow to another when triggering it?

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: How to pass a file identifier to another flow

Hi @rgoodrow,

Do you want to pass the File identifier from one flow to another flow using Microsoft Flow?

If you want to pass the File identifier from one flow to another flow using Microsoft Flow, I afraid that there is no way directly to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

Passing variables from one flow to another flow directly is not supported in Microsoft Flow currently, if you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

In addition, you could consider take a try to store the File identifier into a SharePoint list and then add the "When an item is created" trigger as the trigger of your second flow (another flow). I created a SharePoint list on my side and the data structure of it as below:17.JPG

Note: The File identifier column is a Single line of text type column, which is used to store the File identifier.

Please take a try with the follwing workaround:

First flow:18.JPG

Second flow:19.JPG

The flow works successfully as belwo:20.JPG

22.JPG

21.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
swolfsohn
Level: Powered On

Re: How to pass a file identifier to another flow

The idea linked in the above article is good, I posted a similar idea for passing variables through the Start Flow action

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Pass-Variables-to-Flows-through-Start-Flow-Action/idi...

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users Online
Currently online: 130 members 5,337 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: