cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ha3L
Frequent Visitor

Inconsistent UI behavior in unattended flows triggered manually vs. time scheduled

I have a flow that runs unattended on a schedule every day. At some point, a desktop flow is triggered it opens our house application and looks for a UI button, and for the last few days that step has just taken forever every time and it never succeeds and moves on, even after several hours for a step that normally takes a few seconds. This happens ONLY when opening a specific piece of data with the application, it works on other data. 

However, when running the desktop flow, it works fine. Even when I go to the unattended flow and hit "Run", triggering it manually, it always works fine. In the web browser debugging thing, the inputs to the problem step (wait for UI element) are the same between different runs and the outputs are blank, the only visible difference is sometimes it succeeds and sometimes it lasts forever and I have to cancel it.

How would I be able to determine what's going on if the bug won't replicate whenever I actively go and run the flow? And is there a difference in how Power Automate operates when running unattended triggered manually vs. unattended scheduled?

(The resolution is fine, I already made sure of that)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Koen5
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Dear ha3L,

I have had similar issues in when running PAD via Power Automate on a virtual machine (VM). PAD runs fine on the VM, but when run in unattended mode, it comes across issues. The following things have helped me resolve this:

- Login to the VM when the flow has failed to see where/how it has stalled.

- Set the PAD to take a screenshot at certain points to 'view' what has happened.

- Build in 'random' click actions to non-active elements. This sounds strange, but resolved a very nasty, long-lasting problem for me in unattended mode. My flow would always stall on a 'Send keys' element. When I built in a click action to another element first (it does not do anything, just text) and then went back to the other UI element, it worked. 

Hope this helps, if so, please indicate in the thread,

Happy flowing,

Koen

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Koen5
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Dear ha3L,

I have had similar issues in when running PAD via Power Automate on a virtual machine (VM). PAD runs fine on the VM, but when run in unattended mode, it comes across issues. The following things have helped me resolve this:

- Login to the VM when the flow has failed to see where/how it has stalled.

- Set the PAD to take a screenshot at certain points to 'view' what has happened.

- Build in 'random' click actions to non-active elements. This sounds strange, but resolved a very nasty, long-lasting problem for me in unattended mode. My flow would always stall on a 'Send keys' element. When I built in a click action to another element first (it does not do anything, just text) and then went back to the other UI element, it worked. 

Hope this helps, if so, please indicate in the thread,

Happy flowing,

Koen

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (6,648)