cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Issue with Approval Not Initiating

My Approval flow is not initiating when Its Details containts Cruly Braces { } and so on.

Else, this was working all fine but now its not working only when there are "{ }"

Error Details:

The request failed. Error code: 'XrmApiRequestFailed'. Error Message: 'Request to XRM API failed with error: 'Invalid character in field 'msdyn_flow_approval_details': '', hexadecimal value 0x01, is an invalid character.'.'.

Help me i am in big trouble.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Issue with Approval Not Initiating

OK, as the approval was not accepting Special Strings on its Details section. I went with a workaround.

Basically what i did was made a custom Approval email and not use O365 approvals.

The workaround that i used is discussed in this blog below:

https://www.about365.nl/2020/02/27/power-automate-approvals-markdown-or-html/ 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hello Team,

Can you please post a screenshot of how you have configured the Approval Action.

I just tried to follow what you mentioned and this worked just fine for me.

yashkamdar_0-1600786318921.png

yashkamdar_1-1600786362920.png

I think something else is at fault, for that to know I will need your screenshot.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Here is my flow that didnt initiate:

ayushadhikari_0-1600786931473.png

Details on Starting approval process:

ayushadhikari_1-1600787066001.png

The details on the approval comes from a form submitted earlier.
This was working great until it received special message (i.e little long with braces)

I tried shortening the message contents but it seems to be the braces giving the problem.

This first line had made the issue. For security reasons i cannot provide all of the message contents.

ayushadhikari_3-1600787289171.png{1:F01HIMANPKAAXXX.SN...ISN.}{2:I202COBADEFFXXXXN}{3:{108:20266BNQR289249}}{4:

Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hello Team,

Got it, here is what you do. 

First create a compose action and populate the compose action with that Swift Message entity and then rather than passing the Swift message directly in the Details pass on the outputs of Compose in the Start an Approval action.

Check if this works.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Sorry, still giving the same issue.

The request failed. Error code: 'XrmApiRequestFailed'. Error Message: 'Request to XRM API failed with error: 'Invalid character in field 'msdyn_flow_approval_details': '', hexadecimal value 0x01, is an invalid character.'.'.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Sorry, still the same issue.

Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hello Team,

I think there is some character coming in your Dynamic content that is not supported by Flow.

Other than cleaning up your data at the source dont think this will work.

Try to see this particular bit in your Dynamic content -  '', hexadecimal value 0x01, is an invalid character.'.'. 

If you find this then just for a test remove this bit from the content and pass the rest of the content and check if the Flow works.

If it works then that part is having a character not supported by Flow, nothing you can do here other than cleaning the data up, but I can guarantee the braces are certainly not the issue.

I hope you get my point.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thank you for your response. I will try to work into it and will post an update here soon.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

OK, as the approval was not accepting Special Strings on its Details section. I went with a workaround.

Basically what i did was made a custom Approval email and not use O365 approvals.

The workaround that i used is discussed in this blog below:

https://www.about365.nl/2020/02/27/power-automate-approvals-markdown-or-html/ 

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Users online (5,642)