cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

Issue with Modified By when updating a Word document

Hello, hope you can help.

I have a document library that contains a couple of Word templates. I have a flow in a separate list that triggers the creation of a new document in the document library using one of the templates. The document contains quick parts from the library. The user edits the document, completes the quick parts and saves. This triggers a Flow which updates some details and sends an email depending on what has been selected in the quick parts.

Now, here's the problem:

When I have tested this as a user (not as the admin account), I open the Word document in the client and complete some of the quick parts. On save, this triggers a Flow which checks the Modified by account against a column in another list to check the correct person is editing the document, and then sends an email to 'Modified By Email'.

The issue is that even though I'm editing the Word document as a normal user account, the item shows Modified By as being my admin account. The Flow also shows Modified By as being the admin account, the version history of the document also shows this, as does the 'Modified By' column in the library. Safe to say, when a user edits the Word document, it is not picking up the user account as the Modified By person!  I have never seen this happen before! 

Also, I've noticed that if I edit the document properties directly in the library/browser, then the correct Modified By name shows, so this only happens when the document it edited in Word.

Any ideas what is going on? I'm very confused.

Thanks!!

1 REPLY 1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Can you provide a screenshot of the overall flow?  I suspect something you are doing in the flow is being recorded as a change to the document which is updating the modified by field to the flow maker.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (35,647)