cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
diyninja
Frequent Visitor

Length of time for Approval emails to come in

I've been trying to develope an approval process using Approvals.  However, when the flow runs the approval email takes a long time to come in.  The shortest was 35 minutes and the longest was 2 hours.  Any idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Just to update.  The emails still take longer than 30 minutes to arrive.  I have not found a solution yet.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @diyninja,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

Do you send the approval emails using the "Start an approval" action?

I have made a test on my side and don't have the issue that you mentioned. When my flow runs, the approval email takes about 10 seconds to arrive in my Outlook inbox.

If the approval email takes a long time to arrive in your Outlook mailbox, please check if you have set Delay Incoming Message within your Outlook mailbox. Please check and see if the following article would help in your scenario:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/297c332a-916a-4cc9-8a4b-15cf6f765ae3/receiving-ema...

In addition, please take a try to re-create your flow and try it again to check if the issue is solved. In addition, please consider close your Outlook client and re-open again, then try your flow to check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi v-xida-msft

Thanks for the reply!  i tried the article you've attached and that didn't make a difference.  I've built and rebuild the flow with no success.  i've tested the email part by just creating the flow to send an email upon trigger and it works fine (like you mentioned it comes in a few seconds later) .  This morning it seems to taking on average 15-20 minutes.  I have a Apply to each on the approval because the approver field is a multi-value field.  I'm thinking it might be that.  Here is my flow:

image.pngimage.png

Just to update.  The emails still take longer than 30 minutes to arrive.  I have not found a solution yet.

View solution in original post

after a few weeks the issue seems to have cleared on its own and the emails not come in within a few seconds

I have the same issue. I am using Start and wait for an Approval. Approval email sometimes takes seconds or at other times several minutes, event up to an hour. There is no error and once email arrives all works as per next steps.

I can see the request created in Flow left menu instantly -> Action Items -> Approvals -> Received Items and can approve from there without waiting for the email, indicating the Flow is working properly. Please fix this bug or the handshake between Flow and Exchange. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (998)