cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper I
Helper I

Limit paralell workflow executions

Hi Team,

you helped me to solve the issue with my statistics workflow. That resulted in redo-ing some more things and that to the next issue 😞

I have a list with Tasks in SharePoint. 

My Flow is updating some statistics (related to project etc) if the tasks are closed.

That works fine if the updates come in one after the other.

Based on my other issue i have to start it all over.

There is a flag in my SharePoint list, that "knows" when statistics are done, so my thought was to simply reset that through another flow or manually.

There the fun begins. 

If multiple of the statistics flows run in parallel the calculation went wrong.

Basis idea behind the stat is:

1. check the task based on different rules

2. check the related Stat Item and get number

3. add +1

4. write back

You might suspect something...

In case 4 Flows start the same time, the all read the input from start (for example 3), add 1 and write 4 back, while in deed it should be 7 in the result….

I didnt find anything to throttle/limit the execution of a flow to one.

Any ideas how to approach that?

Thx

Christof

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@ChristofL 

You might find that the concurrency controls under 'Settings' in the trigger are what you are looking for.

image.png

This allows you to limit the number of concurrent Flow runs that occur at one time. However, sharing an image of the configuration of your Flow will help to make sure this is the proper solution to your issue.

Did my reply help? Please give it a thumbs up.
Did my reply answer your question? Please mark it as a solution!
If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Super User
Super User

@ChristofL if you have an apply to each control in your flow go to the settings for it and set Concurrency to 1.

Rob
Los Gallardos
If I've answered your question or solved your problem, please mark this question as answered. This helps others who have the same question find a solution quickly via the forum search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. Thanks.

i am not sure.

The issue is, that there are several flows starting in paralell. Not the actions inside the flow.

@ChristofL well that's a different problem. I don't think there is any way to stop separate flows running at different times other than to either a) use a Recurrence trigger and have the flows trigger 10 minutes apart for example or b) child flows (which I've not used yet so I'm not sure if it would fit your scenario - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform-release-plan/2019wave2/power-automate/call-child-flo...

Rob
Los Gallardos
If I've answered your question or solved your problem, please mark this question as answered. This helps others who have the same question find a solution quickly via the forum search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. Thanks.

@ChristofL 

You might find that the concurrency controls under 'Settings' in the trigger are what you are looking for.

image.png

This allows you to limit the number of concurrent Flow runs that occur at one time. However, sharing an image of the configuration of your Flow will help to make sure this is the proper solution to your issue.

View solution in original post

i tried the child thing, but the actions seems not to be available… i found the power app connector in the list, but nothing like run child?!?

@ChristofL  

That connection is only available for Flows built in solutions: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/create-flow-solution

that might be solution. will give that a try at weekend and send some screenshots. Thx

will look into the solution thing too.... thx 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Power Platform: 2021 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April through September 2021.

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (87,287)