Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Priya216
Helper II
Helper II

Manually run a flow on a sharepoint list

Hi,

I have created an approval flow for a list and items are being submitted to the list but it didnt trigger the flow to run as the flow was switched off.

I have switched the flow on but the items in the list need to trigger the flow how can I trigger the flow without re-submitting the items in the list ?

Thanks

Priya

5 REPLIES 5
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

If the trigger is When an Item is Created or Modified there is no easy way to trigger the flow on existing items other than modifying each one.  However, you could create a copy of the flow and change the trigger out to be For a Selected Item.  Then use that flow to trigger the approval on each item that was missed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Join me at 365 and PWR EduCon in Chicago
EduCon Chicago 2022

Priya216
Helper II
Helper II

I just used the For a selected item action and it asks for extra information as user input what does this mean ?

I am quite new to flows so learning as I go along ?

When you manually start a flow using "For a Selected Item" you have the option to prompt the user to add information that will be used to run the flow.  For example on an Approval you could ask the user what the email address of the approver is.  In this case you don't need to add additional info.  Just leave the trigger the way it is by default.

EduCon Chicago 2022

Priya216
Helper II
Helper II

Thank you Pstork1 for your reply, I can see now how "For a selected item" action can work as I did a test on this action but the flow is going through 5 approvals and updating the list and it seems I have to update the item action against the selected item with different field dynamic constants. I wanted a quick solution to do this not to re-create another workflow.

Any other quick and easy solutions ?

Are all 5 approvals done in one flow?  or do you have 5 different flows?  If they are all in the same flow there shouldn't be any additional changes required other than changing the trigger and adjusting any references to dynamic content that comes from the trigger.  If it is the same flow, but it relaunches for each approval then it should still work.  If you do the for a selected item to launch it the first time then 2-5 should launch based on Item Modified trigger in the other flow.

EduCon Chicago 2022

Helpful resources

Announcements
 WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (1,832)