cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Microsoft Flow To Update Items With ID Above 5000 In A SharePoint List

I have an issue with an update automation I created with Microsoft Flow that I can't figure out how to fix. I have two SharePoint lists in different site collections. I've set up a flow when an item is created in the first list to copy it to another SP list, then when that very same item is modified in the second list, to update the same item in the first list. Both are linked with each other based on the ID of the item created in the first list. Basically I have a field in the second list that takes the value of the ID of the item from the first list. And then when that entry is modified in the second list it compares the two values and if they match, it updates the same item in the first list. I made all that work to a test list that I created and it is working fine, but then when I tried to move the automation to an identical list having an ID of 15600+, it just does not want to update the item in the first list when modified in the second list. And what is interesting is that microsoft flow shows all actions of the flow as successful, but yet it doesn't update the item in the first list. The list has an ID of more than 15600, but the actual items inside are about 3000. Is it because of the ID and how can this be fixed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Microsoft Flow To Update Items With ID Above 5000 In A SharePoint List

Ok, managed to make it work. What I did is instead of Get Item, I used the Get Item action, removed the filtering action and input that into the Get Item action itself, to compare the ID of the item in the first list with the copied item in the second list and based on that to update.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bennyblanco ,

Could you share all the screenshots of your Flow configuration?

I speculate that your Flow contains Apply to each, so there is a limit to the number of traversal items.

Please check limit and configuration:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/flow/limits-and-config#looping-and-debatching-limits

It mentions 100,000 is only available for the premium plans. Otherwise, you are limited to 5,000.

You could try to filter the items that need to be updated by using Filter query or Filter array.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi Barry,

Kindly find two snippets of the Flow I created. Yes, there's an "Apply To Each" action, but that is input automatically when I add an Update List Item action. I have set a filter myself, when an item is created in the first list, I copy the ID of it to a number field in the second list, so when the time for the update from the second to the first list comes, I can compare the copied id field to the id of the original item and then update it. The flow says all went successfully, but the item does not get updated and I guess it is because the destination list has an id of 15600+, although the items in the actual list does not exceed 5000 items, just the ID is above that. Here are the snippets:

1.PNG2.PNG

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bennyblanco ,

Do you mean that after all the previous filtering operations, Apply to each still have more than 5,000 items to traverse?

The logic configured in Condition can be done directly in Get items-Filter Query or Filter array.

You could consider adding one or more parallel branches, adding the same action to each branch, but using Get items-Filter Query to split all items into more halves, using ID to split.

Image reference:

40.PNG

Please take a try.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-bacao-msft ,

Thank you for writing. What is weird is that the list contains about 3000 items, the id is about 15800. Will try what you just suggested and will get back to you, thank you!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Is this the way the filter query should be input into the get items Filter Query field - ID le 5000 and ID gt 5000? Also should I keep the Filter Array action afterwards? Thank you!

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bennyblanco ,

The reason for adding a parallel branch is to split all the items for easy processing.

As for how to configure the number in Filter Query, you can decide according to your own needs, you may need to add more branches.

The actions configured in each branch are the same, you can keep Filter array to further filter the item.

Best Regards,

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Ok, managed to make it work. What I did is instead of Get Item, I used the Get Item action, removed the filtering action and input that into the Get Item action itself, to compare the ID of the item in the first list with the copied item in the second list and based on that to update.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

Join the new Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Users online (12,280)