cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carhur61
Frequent Visitor

Multiple flows concurrently adding rows in excel OneDrive (Business)

Hi, 

I have a situation in which multiple flows (41) are adding rows into the same Excel Table. Each flow is a MS Forms quiz filled at any time by students and concurrency might occur. I'm getting many GatewayTimeout errors. 

Is concurrency what is causing the errors?  Is flow concurrency possible in Excel at all? If the answer is no, how is it possible to work around it?

Please Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ScottShearer
Super User
Super User

@carhur61 

You could try going to the settings for the Excel action and changing the retry policy - increase the number or retries.  Other than that I don't believe there is much that you can do.

I suggest re-writing your Flows so that they add rows to a SharePoint list instead of Excel.  Then, if you want the data in Excel, have a recurrence Flow periodically add any new rows added to the SharePoint list to the Excel table.

Alternatively, simply have Excel use the SharePoint list as a data source and set the Excel workbook to update upon opening.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ScottShearer
Super User
Super User

@carhur61 

You could try going to the settings for the Excel action and changing the retry policy - increase the number or retries.  Other than that I don't believe there is much that you can do.

I suggest re-writing your Flows so that they add rows to a SharePoint list instead of Excel.  Then, if you want the data in Excel, have a recurrence Flow periodically add any new rows added to the SharePoint list to the Excel table.

Alternatively, simply have Excel use the SharePoint list as a data source and set the Excel workbook to update upon opening.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

Thank you for your reply @ScottShearer.

It's a fact that we have to migrate to Dataverse or SharePoint very soon.

What I want to do is to implement a quick fix to avoid the errors and buy some time until migration is complete. I wonder if after increasing the number of retries, with more flows retrying to drop the data, the problem would be bigger.

Is it possible for the flow to detect if the file is being used and add a delay?

For the short term I took two of the key tables in my Excel file and moved them to separate files. That lowered the pressure. I decided not to work with SharePoint because my long-term solution is to migrate all tables to Dataverse which already started. Excel was a really quick and easy fix for the short term.

Thank you very much for your reply

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

PA Survey Carousel Image.png

We want to hear from you!

If you are a small business ISV/Reseller, share your thoughts with our research team.

Users online (1,372)