Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elleeyl
Helper III
Helper III

New item flow triggers flow of previous item on SP list

Hi Community,

I have an expense form which will first create an item on the SP list, after which another action to enter the total claim amount would update the same item on the SP list

Below is the flow that I have used. I have found 3 scenarios while using this flow.

1) Update on SP does not trigger flow.

2) Update on SP to trigger flow would result in the preceding item which has been approved (i.e. a closed item) to be triggered in a flow again.

3) Update on SP would trigger the same item and preceding item to go through numerous repeated flow cycles. For e.g. item 18 has been approved and is a done item. I submit item 19 for approval. Items 18 and 19 would be triggered in a flow. Even approving them (i.e. closing the items), items 18 and 19 would come back again for approval, and then again for a 3rd time.

Kindly advise what I should correct in the flow. Thank you.

1.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @elleeyl ,

For the first problem, there may be a delay in triggering the Flow, but the Flow will be triggered normally eventually.

For the second question, When an item is created or modified will monitor all items, regardless of whether the current item has been approved, as long as it is changed, Flow will be triggered. If you want to prevent the Flow from being triggered repeatedly, you can use the condition to determine whether the Approval Status is already Approved. If it is, then the Approval action is no longer performed.

The third question seems similar to the second, please refer to the method above.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
manuelstgomes
Super User
Super User

Hi @elleeyl 

Is there anywhere in the Power Automation where you update the same list of the trigger? In the screenshot you provided, this doesn't happen, but it could happen after. If this is the case, you may be generating — a cycle hence your problems. "When an item is created or updated" then you update it in the same Power Automation; the same Power Automation will be triggered because something was, in fact, triggered. 

In the first part trying to combine the calculation of the total claim and insert of the SharePoint in the same action. This way you'll only have an insert action and you can change the trigger of the following Power Automation to "When an item is created"

Makes sense or I confused you even more? 

If something doesn't make sense or you need further help please let me know and I'll help you.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Cheers
Manuel

v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @elleeyl ,

For the first problem, there may be a delay in triggering the Flow, but the Flow will be triggered normally eventually.

For the second question, When an item is created or modified will monitor all items, regardless of whether the current item has been approved, as long as it is changed, Flow will be triggered. If you want to prevent the Flow from being triggered repeatedly, you can use the condition to determine whether the Approval Status is already Approved. If it is, then the Approval action is no longer performed.

The third question seems similar to the second, please refer to the method above.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Thanks @v-bacao-msft , I have set up a condition and the updating cycle has stopped.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Users online (3,345)