cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rodbland
Level: Powered On

Out of call volume quota Trigger: When a new email arrives (gmail).

Plan:  Flow Plan 2 (paid)

Trigger: When a new email arrives (gmail)

Inputs: Label: Suppliers/Neto

Average monthly flows for account in total: 4,000 (maximum per subscription is 15,000)

We have several flows that have been running perfectly for almost a year (and not been changed for the past two months), now suddenly they are all stopping with status code 403 and failing when the trigger does the initial check for new messages.  As soon as the error 403 check is encountered, the flow stops until the 'quota' is refreshed.  If I stop the flow, and restart it a few minutes later, it continues on, only to stop in a short while.

{
  "statusCode": 403,
  "message": "Out of call volume quota. Quota will be replenished in 23:01:41."
}

Trigger configuration:

Screenshot 2019-08-21 11.53.11.png

For one of these flows I altered the settings in the trigger to reduce concurrency to 1 (later increasing it to 4), and also changed the retry policy but that did not make any difference, like so:

Screenshot 2019-08-21 11.57.33.png

What these flows all have in common is they use the same gmail connector with the trigger 'When a new email arrives'.  There are only 4 individual flows that use this connector, and each checks every minute, per the Flow Plan 2.  

All of the flows concerned have a check for emails with a specific label in the trigger itself, so that flows do not run unnecessarily.

Over the entire account, total flow usage is no more than 4,000 flows per month, much less than the 15,000 maximum.

So far, MS phone support are scratching their head.  It seems very odd to me that this can be working ok for months, then all of a sudden be running into this mysterious volume quota.  So far phone support has not been able to explain what the volume quota message is really referring to, and how to troubleshoot further.  Can anyone else help?

thank you, Rod

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
rodbland

Re: Out of call volume quota Trigger: When a new email arrives (gmail).

I resolved this by exporting the flows to a different microsoft account.  They've been running fine now for 5 days straight with zero check errors.

At this stage Microsoft cannot explain why the flows would work on one account and not another.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Trigger: When a new email arrives (gmail). Out of call volume quota

Hi @rodbland 

The error notification that you have mentioned basically means that you are running out of the number of API calls supported for that particular connector. (The phone support might have also given the same response to you). 

Can you please check and confirm the number of emails that are arriving (is it more than 50-60 per minute) as the limit is 60 calls in 60 seconds https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/gmail/#triggers

Can you disable these flows and create a new one without enabling the concurrency option and check if you face the same issue. Also, there are limitations on the retry policies, synchronous/asynchronous calls : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/flow/limits-and-config

The flows have been running fine for a few months as you say so there might be a chance that a spike in the number of emails being recieved at a particular instance of time has caused this issue. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

rodbland

I don't see how this is related to the number of API calls supported by the connector.  At most, the flows run every minute, so that's 4 flows, 4 checks per minute in total.  Even if every flow happened to run at the same time, that's far less than 60 API calls in a minute, surely?

As for the number of emails, the account at most receives between 150-200 new emails per day.  These are spread out with occasional clumps.  I checked over the past few days and at most there can be 9-10 emails received in the space of a minute.  Additionally, the volume and number of emails received has been stable for the past 12 months.  There are no large spikes, or unusual activity.

But let's say that we did get a batch of 20 emails all in one minute, all with the same label, and due to concurrency, there were 20 checks happening at the same time, and the number of API calls did exceed 60 in the space of a minute.  Why then does the error message say that the quota will be replenished in some period close to 24 hours, and not in 60 seconds?

I tried the following to troubleshoot:

1. Turned off all flows using the gmail connector
  2. Duplicated one flow only and changed it to concurrency 1, with default retry policy.  Turned on the flow.

result: 3 successful checks and flow runs 1 minute apart, then the fourth check failed with the following error.  The flow then stopped.

{
  "statusCode": 403,
  "message": "Out of call volume quota. Quota will be replenished in 06:28:04."
}

Also note, the message above says quota will be replenished in 6:28:04, which would be 17:00 Pacific Time.  That doesn't seem at all related to a limit based around 60 calls per 60 seconds.

Also how can we check the API usage on our gsuite account that is as a result of Microsoft Flow to verify if there has been a sudden increase?  I went to https://console.cloud.google.com and it shows zero usage for two projects with random names, and the gmail API is not even enabled for either one, which suggests that microsoft flow uses some other method to access gmail, or that the usage is not exposed via the google developer console.

Thanks for your help.

Rod

Highlighted
rodbland

I resolved this by exporting the flows to a different microsoft account.  They've been running fine now for 5 days straight with zero check errors.

At this stage Microsoft cannot explain why the flows would work on one account and not another.

View solution in original post

rodbland

Update:  Microsoft confirmed there was a specific problem with a node that was handling the gmail connector in the AU region.  They restarted the node and the problem went away.

I have now shifted to using the flows on the original Microsoft account that I had them setup on, and so far they have been running fine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,576)