The output of “Get emails” action is an array which doesn't contain Display Name property of the sender. We can get email address of the sender from From property that is email data type. If you want to achieve the sender's display name, please take a try with the following workaround:
The result of running the flow as below:
More details about “Get emails” action and “Get User profile” action, please read the article as below:
It took me quite some time to come up with my own solution.
The triggerbody of a new email does not contain the sender's name, only their email address. This lead me to utilizing the Export Email action available from the Office 365 Outlook connector. Once exported, I had the complete email headers in raw format. Then it was a matter of obtaining the indices for "From: " and "To: " keywords from the email headers and then using a substring command to get the name.
If I could figure how to insert an image, I would. (Edit: I had to be a registered member first before the option was working.) Instead, here are my variable definitions.
FromIndex, Integer, indexOf(body('Export_email'),'From: ')
ToIndex, Integer, indexOf(body('Export_email'),'To: ')
FromLine, String, substring(body('Export_email'),variables('FromIndex'),sub(variables('ToIndex'),variables('FromIndex')))
FromName, String, substring(variables('FromLine'),6,sub(indexOf(variables('FromLine'),'<'),7))
The FromName is the ultimate variable you want. I'm sure you could merge everything together but breaking it up this way is much more readable.
Thanks very much for this, exactly what I was looking for!
One slight issue, for new emails this works fine, but when a reply to an email comes in it fails at Initialize variable 3 with the below error:
One slight issue, for new emails this works fine, but when a reply to an email comes in it fails at Initialize variable 3 with the below error:Any ideas?
Sorry, I'm not maintaining the code. I originally provided the "solution" to fix a one-off problem but am not actively working on that project any longer.
I had a similar problem.
When MS Flow replied to an external email I wanted to make sure I was using the persons First name "Hi Bob,".
What I ended up doing was creating an address list in Sharepoint that included the persons first name.
If the Flow didn't find the email address info in the SharePoint list I sent an email to myself so that I knew there was a missing email.
This was for a fairly low volume of email addresses that are mostly known to me.
Thank you for posting on the Flow Community Forum! Have you had an opportunity to apply @Anonymous‘s recommendation to adapt your Flow? If yes, and you find that solution to be satisfactory, please go ahead and click “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!
Thank you for being an active member of the Flow Community!
Flow Community Manager
The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Automate Community!
We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!
We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!
Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!
The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications