cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LamaBeast
Level: Powered On

Pass Microsoft Forms response to sharepoint list column using lookup - possible ?

Hi,

I m setting up a Microsoft Form to record employee on-boarding data (e.g. name, phonenr, client they will be working for, etc.) for our recruiting department.

Using Microsoft Flow my intention is that each recruitres response (=all data of a new employee) of the Form is forwarded to a sharepoint list and all values are recorded in dedicated column.

Everything works fine ....except for one scenario:

Questions using combo boxes.

client choice.png

The response of this question should go into a column which is already using lookup and looks like this :

sharepoint list lookup.png

Except for this kind of scenario (combo answer -> to lookup column) my forms setup works fine and looks like this:

flow settings.png

Unfortunately I ve not been able to pass the response value to this field so that the identical value is being choosen from the lookup column.

Is this technically even possible?

Has anyone ever achieved this ?

Thank you very much for any kind of help or workaround in case this is technically not possible.

LamaBeast

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Pass Microsoft Forms response to sharepoint list column using lookup - possible ?

Hi @LamaBeast,

First I have a question. What is the reason you are using a lookup list in the SharePoint list for the working for column and for instance not just a single line of text column type?

Just tested this scenario and it looks like it isn't supported. A workaround would be to check the combobox answer and based on that use a switch case or some similar action. But looking at the dropdown list of the working for column that is probably not the best workaround since it contains a lot of values.

Super User
Super User

Re: Pass Microsoft Forms response to sharepoint list column using lookup - possible ?

@LamaBeast 

The issue you are experiencing is due to the fact that a SharePoint lookup column actually stores the ID of the item from the lookup list.  To make your scenario work, you'll first need to use a GetItems action to retrieve the list item from the lookup list that matches the selected option.  You'll use the ID of that item when creating the new list item.

In my example, I have a lookup list called LookupList - the value is sored in the title column.  I have a SharePoint list called LookupConsumer with a lookup column called LookupCol.  The value that I need to store in the lookup column from the Form is called Stooges.

Please note that I am using an OData filter in my get items action. Note the single quotes around the parameter.

Lookup1.jpgLookup2.jpgLookup3.jpg

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

Hi @ScottShearer,

Nice solution. Totally forgot the Odata possibility.

Btw, I am still curious why @LamaBeast is using a lookup list column in SharePoint though Smiley Wink

Super User
Super User

@Expiscornovus 

I agree about the lookup column - it is almost always better to use a choice column over a lookup.  That said, sometimes there are business rules that necessitate the use of a lookup.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
LamaBeast

Hi @Expiscornovus ,

we are using the lookup as the information is also being used else where.

However your input is much appreciated and has made us re-consider the use and set-up of the list.

Thanks for your input.

LamaBeast

Hi @ScottShearer 

thanks a lot for the detailed solution.

Being fairly new to the subject, me a day or 2 to recreate.

Your and @Expiscornovus concern of the lookup got us thinking, so we are also re-evaluating this.

I will follow up with an update once I ve re-created your example in my setup.

Thanks.

>