cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arayawin2000

Power Automate Approval of Modified SharePoint Item With Active Link Fails

I am working on a simple flow that triggers every time a file in a SharePoint library changes (e. g. new file, old file gets modified, etc.)  The flow has a switch that acts only when a file "ModerationStatus" is "Pending", all other values are ignored.  My problem begins when a "Start and wait for an approval" action is triggered.  I want this action to provide all approvers with an active link to the item that just changed.  The link, of course, is needed to allow all approvers to view the changed item and approve or reject it.  When a brand new file is added to the SharePoint library, the link to the new file provided to the approvers by SharePoint can't be opened likely because the new file "ModerationStatus" is not yet "Approved".  A similar problem occurs when an old file is modified, but in this case approvers get a link that points to the most recently approved version of the file.  Either way, approvers are unable to view the changed file before they can decide if they should approve it or not, which defeats the purpose of the flow.  I have not been able to find any references to this online, or any technical solutions to this problem, but ideally, SharePoint should "serve" a link to all approvers that allows them to view the changed file to be approved, not an earlier version of it.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@arayawin2000  then go to Gear button on top right corner, select Site Permission -> Advanced permissions settings.

Click on Permission Levels in the ribbon

annajhaveri_0-1669881861505.png

Click on "Add a Permission Level". Then give a name to permission level something like Approver, then select Approve Items checkbox and click on Create button on bottom of the page. Now assign this Approver permission level to the users who need approver permission. Then check if approvers are able to see the draft changes.

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
annajhaveri
Community Champion
Community Champion

@arayawin2000  can you please go to library settings - > versioning settings -> and see what is configured in Draft item security?

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer
arayawin2000

Hi there.  For Draft Item Security the selected option is Only users who can approve items (and the author of the item).  This is because I need to prevent any other users from viewing the draft document before it is properly approved.  Thank you.

@arayawin2000  then go to Gear button on top right corner, select Site Permission -> Advanced permissions settings.

Click on Permission Levels in the ribbon

annajhaveri_0-1669881861505.png

Click on "Add a Permission Level". Then give a name to permission level something like Approver, then select Approve Items checkbox and click on Create button on bottom of the page. Now assign this Approver permission level to the users who need approver permission. Then check if approvers are able to see the draft changes.

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (4,387)