PowerAutomate flows not working for some users as expected initially after the solution is deployed into the upper region
We are facing issues with PowerAutomate flow connection references being not consistent for all the users when we deploy PowerApps solution into upper regions.
We are using PowerApps trigger for all our flows, at times, a couple of PowerAutomate flows do not even trigger at all for some of our business users as we do not see any runs when they click on a button from the PowerApps front-end.
When we do re-add the connection references at the environment level or explicitly Edit and Save them, then it starts working as expected for some users but not for all.
We can not guarantee at which point it starts working and we are not quite sure what we are missing out on here. We would like to find out the root cause and a reliable solution for this issue.
Flows are created within the solution package.
We are moving the entire solution every time we deploy the solution into upper regions.
Connection references include Dataverse, Dataverse Legacy (CDS Current Environment), SharePoint, Word Online, and Content Conversion (preview) as attached in the screenshot.
FYI, we have connection references from the old app (Version 1) within the same upper region that we are deploying the latest solution which might be causing confusion for the system while initializing at the time of loading an application for the first time after deployment.
We never faced this issue with Version 1 i.e. old app, but we built flows outside solutions that time.
It would be great if you can provide us with your insights into this.
This issue has been solved after adding business users to the respective groups as they were removed from the PowerApps admin group without our awareness. They couldn't even see the environment name in the top right corner when they opened the APP URL.