cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patrice
Level: Power Up

Probem with DisplayName

Hi,

I'm testing Flow and I used the flow created by Deon Herbert https://flow.microsoft.com/fr-fr/documentation/sequential-modern-approvals/ 

This is working pretty well except for the DisplayName which is always the name of the person who created the Flow (actually this perso is me). This is annoying because when someone else is making a request for vacation, the name display in the email for the approver is the name of the Approver instead of the name of the requester. (hope it's clear enough, but sorry english is not my native language as you certainly already guessed). 

I followed exactly what was indicated by Deon. So I guessed that I did not understand it very well or there is a bug somewhere 🙂 

Thanks for your help,

Best,

Patrice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Probem with DisplayName

Hi @Patrice,

Please don't use the DisplayName dynamic content from the Get Manager action, remove it and then replace it with the Created by DisplayName from the SharePoint trigger "When a new item is created":

52.PNG

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Patrice,

If you followed the example in the following article:

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/sequential-modern-approvals/

And the issue here is the "Vacation request for Created by DisplayName" can't display the right display name, then I think the issue here should be caused by the SharePoint list.

The Created by DisplayName field is a predefined field under SharePoint list, so if the user created an item with his request (trigger here should be the SharePoint->When a new item is created), then it would work as expected.

Would you please share your Flow configuration here?

Regards,

Michael

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Patrice

Hello Michael,

thanks a lot for your reply. I am not sur how to share my flow here so I made 2 screenshots of it. I am sorry since the content is in french. The trigger is indeed When a new item is created (lorsqu'un élément est crée in french) and the problem is in the Start an Approval section with the DisplayName (Nom d'affichage in french). I hoppe that the screenshots will be readable. 

Kind regards,

Patrice

flow-part1.pngflow-part2.png

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Patrice,

Please don't use the DisplayName dynamic content from the Get Manager action, remove it and then replace it with the Created by DisplayName from the SharePoint trigger "When a new item is created":

52.PNG

Regards,

Michael

View solution in original post

Patrice

Great. It works perfectly. Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards,

Patrice

MarkK
Level: Powered On

I am having a similar problem.  I can get the displayname of the createdby in the Title of the Approval email.  But there is a content in the email which says "Requested by: xxxx" which always shows my name, which I assume is because I'm the author of the flow.

I don't see anywhere the "Start an approval" task where I can address this.  I also checked the Sharepoint list item, and it is showing the correct name of the person who should be showing in the requested by text in the in both the "Created By" and "Modified By" columns.

Thanks,

Mark

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

firstImage

Better Together Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,788)