Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rapidjuice
Level: Powered On

Question on state machine workflow

Hi there,

If you implement a state machine workflow that only fires on item creation (SharePoint) and stays active during the full lifecycle of the item is it possible to update the list item while the Flow is still running and retrieve the updated values within the Flow ? 

I've been trying every possible way to achieve this and I'm getting no where.... Which leads me to believe it's not possible.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rapidjuice

Re: Question on state machine workflow

Hi again @RezaDorrani ,

Finally found the problemo ! I added a delay of a minute before I used the 'Get Item' within my regenerate case and the value is coming through now. Looks like it was fetching the item too quickly.

Cheers

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @rapidjuice 

Yes it is possible that the item gets updated outside of the Flow or within the Flow - that will not affect the Flow run

Within the Flow itself if you need the latest details - you can query for the item prior to taking any action

example get item action - will get you the latest data related to the item

Since your Flow is only triggered on item added, it would re-trigger when item is updated so you will not run into a loop issue with the Flow

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

rapidjuice

Hi @RezaDorrani

I thought that was the case however I'm having no luck with it. 

If you have a look at the images below - My flow has a regenerate switch case. After a PO has been submitted, sometimes users may need to make a change to it. So I've added an yes/no box that says 'Regenerate PO?' and if it is selected, the case is moved to regenerate and the workflow deletes the old PO, gets the item (Get item used right before populating word document again) but still I can not get the second line item to come through on the item.

Cap1.PNG

Cap3.PNG

Any ideas ??

Cheers

rapidjuice

Hi again @RezaDorrani ,

Finally found the problemo ! I added a delay of a minute before I used the 'Get Item' within my regenerate case and the value is coming through now. Looks like it was fetching the item too quickly.

Cheers

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Better Together Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,731)