cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Save Attachments to OneDrive flow seems to only work for one folder

I have configured the "Save new email attachment to OneDrive for Business" template. I have discovered that if Inbox Rules are used to sort emails into sub folders the flow does not save the attachments. It does not look like the template is not able to recognize new email unless it is actually in the Inbox folder. Reviewing the settings on the flow there does not seem to be anyway to have the flow check more than a single folder for new email with attachments.
I understand that you would not want attachments from junk email saved but not being able to capture email that is sorted using inbox rules seems to make this flow much less effective. For users with a large number of incoming emails and a need to organize them it means either not using this flow or creating an instance for each subfolder(not very practical).
Is there a way to have a flow identify new email in all subfolders of a specific folder in Outlook?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Save Attachments to OneDrive flow seems to only work for one folder

Hi @Johalloran ,

As mentioned by yashag2255, when a new email arrives (V3) can currently only monitor the details of the received messages in one folder.

Please consider using Save as to create a copy of a similar Flow, and then you only need to replace the folder with another folder.

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/make-a-copy/

If you want When a new email arrives (V3) to specify multiple folders, this feature is supported by Power Automate, please consider submitting your suggestions in ideas forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Ideas/idb-p/MPAIdeas

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Regular Visitor

My background is in technical support so I have a perspective of many different styles of work. Some users create new inbox rules on a regular basis. Having to also create a new flow for each new folder would not be worth the effort. The result is that user would come away with the first impression that Power Automate is of no use to them.

A better solution would be to modify how the inbox rules work. Create a new rule that will be the first one to be acted on. This rule will copy all email to a folder outside the inbox; by default using this action will not stop other rules from being acted on.
The new folder will have a short retention policy; shortest standard is 1 week. The Flow will act on the new folder that will have a copy of all new email in it. It will not include mail that was prefiltered such as junk mail or clutter. If the user wants to prevent the flow from acting on certain emails they just need to insert a rule that will move the email before the copy rule is acted on.

I just tested this solution and it worked like a charm.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @Johalloran 

The flow with the When an Email Arrives checks for only the folder selected in the trigger and I believe there is no way to add multiple folders in there. You might either have to create multiple flows to accommodate all folders or you can change the flow trigger to when a email is flagged and manually flag the emails when they arrive. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Johalloran ,

As mentioned by yashag2255, when a new email arrives (V3) can currently only monitor the details of the received messages in one folder.

Please consider using Save as to create a copy of a similar Flow, and then you only need to replace the folder with another folder.

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/make-a-copy/

If you want When a new email arrives (V3) to specify multiple folders, this feature is supported by Power Automate, please consider submitting your suggestions in ideas forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Ideas/idb-p/MPAIdeas

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regular Visitor

My background is in technical support so I have a perspective of many different styles of work. Some users create new inbox rules on a regular basis. Having to also create a new flow for each new folder would not be worth the effort. The result is that user would come away with the first impression that Power Automate is of no use to them.

A better solution would be to modify how the inbox rules work. Create a new rule that will be the first one to be acted on. This rule will copy all email to a folder outside the inbox; by default using this action will not stop other rules from being acted on.
The new folder will have a short retention policy; shortest standard is 1 week. The Flow will act on the new folder that will have a copy of all new email in it. It will not include mail that was prefiltered such as junk mail or clutter. If the user wants to prevent the flow from acting on certain emails they just need to insert a rule that will move the email before the copy rule is acted on.

I just tested this solution and it worked like a charm.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

Join the new Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Users online (8,343)