Did you mean: 
SylvieLet17
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Send an email with options UserEmailAddress returning blank

Hi all,

I have a weird issue. I have the simplest of all Flows set up

Trigger: manually trigger a flow

Send an email with options (Approve, Reject)

When the receiver approves or rejects I just want to capture their email. 

So I have a variable set to the UserEmailAddress from the "Send email with options" action. But it's returning blank.

I set a condition on the response, so if response = "Approve" send an email and that is working fine, so Flow is able to capture the response, but not the email address. Can anyone successfully capture the responder's email address?

I basically just need to know who is actually responding to the email, and document that.

Before you say "you should just use approvals" - I need to include an html table in the body of the email. 

Before you tell me to try markup - I have, it doesn't render in the Teams "approval" notification, and also doesn't seem to be very friendly in terms of dynamic column sizing. 

So this is (to my knowledge) my only option. 

8 REPLIES 8
savelazq
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi,

I have an example on how to capture the approver’s email and be directly sent to the recipient as a response.

You can still make your flow work without using variable; however, you can use variable if you want to.

Please look at the example provided below

Within the body of the email click to Add an Expression (fx blue icon)

exp.png

Type this line: 

body('Start_and_wait_for_an_approval')?['responses'][0]['responder']['email']

body.png

email.png

Example of e-mail received

example em.png

Regards,

Sam

-------

Community Support Team _ Sam Velazquez

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

SylvieLet17
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi Sam thanks for this but I'm specifically avoiding the "approval" actions because I need to include an html table and that does not work in that action

So I need this to work with the "Send an email with options" action. Can you test that action and see if you are able to get the responder's email?

darshanamin26
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi,

Thanks for you response. Would you please send us more details about your flow would be great if you send us screenshot for your flow.  

Regards,

Darshan

-------

Community Support Team _ Darshan Amin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Here is the run, notice that the variable is empty:

EmailWithOptions1.png

And here is the configuration

EmailWithOptions2.png

Can you try recreating this flow? Are you able to extract the responder's email address in any way??

darshanamin26
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi, 

I run the same flow and it seems working for me, I'm able to see responder's email address as well as email from flow. attaching the screenshot for the reference

Email results..PNGFlow.PNG

Regards,

Darshan

-------

Ok, I have no idea why mine is not working then...

The UserEmailAddress doesn't even show in the action:

Flow1.png

Ok, I have narrowed it down a little further. It looks like the buttons in the preview DO work, but in the body they do not. 

See below: the buttons under "your input is required" work, but the buttons in the body don't. For specific reasons I NEED these body buttons to work. FLOW_Issue.png

If you run the flow and try to use the buttons in the body of the email, does it work?

darshanamin26
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi, 

I checked the flow again and button on the body part of the email seems working for me as well. Opening a support case with outlook team seems a good option to get more assistance on this issue.  

Regards,

Darshan

-------

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Users online (34,729)