cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cksiz
Level: Powered On

Sharepoint list trigger only runs for me, no one else

I have created a flow that is triggered based on a new sharepoint list item creation.

The entire flow functions perfectly whenever I create new items in the list.

However, when others create items in the list the flow does not trigger.

I'm new to flow (and relatively new to sharepoint online)

I suspect a permission issue, but am unsure of where to look.

Thanks.

FlowListTrigger.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cksiz

Re: Sharepoint list trigger only runs for me, no one else

I was made a site admin. As soon as that happened, the Flow processed the whole backlog of approvals.

Weird that even though I created the list, I had to be promoted to site admin in order to see all items.

I will investigate sharepoint online permissions further.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

@cksiz 

I doubt that your issue is permissions related - the Flow should run without regard to who created the item.

This is a very unusual issue...

Can you verify that the users are actually creating items in the same list as you reference in the Flow?

Can you provide screen shots of the run history of the Flow?

Can you post a view of the list that includes the times the items were created which includes items created by others?

Also, you don't need to do the GetItem after the trigger - everything you need will be provided in Dynamic properties from the When an item is created trigger.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
cksiz

The reason I suspect it's permission based is because I can't see other user entries to the list. Flow is using my credentials on the connector to sharepoint online.

Do I have to be the list admin (ie. be able to see ALL user entries) in order for my flow to catch them?

Confirmed, the user is creating the entry in the proper list linked in the Flow.

Pictures below of the list items created (47 mins ago) and the flow run history (has not been run since my tests a week ago against my own personal entries)

Thanks for the tip about the "Get Item", I'll clean that up.

list items.jpgRunHistory.JPG

Super User
Super User

@cksiz 

Is the SharePoint list configured to use item level security?  To check, go to list settings/advanced settings and check to see if it is set to "read all items" and "create and edit all items".

I assunmed that you had admin acces to the list/site - that was my error and a bad assumption.....

The Flow trigger is running with your credentials.  If you can't see a list item then the trigger probably can't see it either.  I will test this tonight and update this post.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
cksiz

I figured that might be the problem. Good to know.

So as I understand it, a flow will use my credentials to run against a list.

Therefore, my credentials need to have "full" access to the list contents correct?

An assumption here then would be that if the list contents are sensitive (ie. I shouldn't see them) then I should use a service account credential to run the flow? (Or have the list admin build their own flow using their credentials...)

I don't see that item level security setting in the advanced list settings, but it could be because I am not admin.

I am requesting full access by the site administrator, so that may solve the problem.

cksiz

I was made a site admin. As soon as that happened, the Flow processed the whole backlog of approvals.

Weird that even though I created the list, I had to be promoted to site admin in order to see all items.

I will investigate sharepoint online permissions further.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,065)