cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dp1015
Regular Visitor

Sharing a flow with a SP list, with custom permission level

I have a PowerAutomate flow that is shared with a SharePoint library as a run-only user. The people who have access to this library have a custom permission level which has all of the same permissions as 'Contribute' except for 'Delete Items' and 'Delete Versions'. 

When assigned this custom permission, the flow is not available to the users in the SP library from the 'Automate' dropdown. It will show up when they are provided the Contribute permission level, though.

What permissions are required to run flows when shared as a run-only user via the list? What is preventing my custom permission level from providing such access? Is there a way to prevent users from being able to delete documents in a library, but still be able to run flows shared with that list?

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ScottShearer
Super User
Super User

@dp1015 

As mentioned by @yashkamdar, this could be better documented.  My understanding is that a user needs to have contribute or higher access to a list in order to have access to a for a selected item Flow.  I don't believe that you'll be able to accomplish your goal.

As a work around, you might consider adding a column - likely a checkbox or yes/no column to your library.  You can have the Flow run only when that box is checked (trigger filter).  Add an action to clear the check box when the Flow runs.  So, when your users want to run the Flow, they simply check the box - not optima but it will work.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
yashkamdar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello Team,

To be extremely honest this isn't documented in a very proper manner anywhere, I know there are suggestions raised so that this particular (Allow Run only) concept is detailed out.

Adding accounts as SharePoint lists/libraries owners will always work for you. That is like the highest privilege.

Users with Edit permission or higher can edit the Flow and those with Contribute (which is basically read/write) can initiate or execute the Flow.

That being said, I would refrain you from giving custom permissions specifically for this case because when a Permission is assigned via one of the defaults (Full Control), Microsoft takes care that all the hierarchical permissions between Full Control and Edit are also assigned. But when you give a Custom permission you need to make sure you all those intermediate permissions are also given, which is not always possible.

Better to let Microsoft manage this by selecting permission level available by default rather than assigning Custom permissions especially for cases like this.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

ScottShearer
Super User
Super User

@dp1015 

As mentioned by @yashkamdar, this could be better documented.  My understanding is that a user needs to have contribute or higher access to a list in order to have access to a for a selected item Flow.  I don't believe that you'll be able to accomplish your goal.

As a work around, you might consider adding a column - likely a checkbox or yes/no column to your library.  You can have the Flow run only when that box is checked (trigger filter).  Add an action to clear the check box when the Flow runs.  So, when your users want to run the Flow, they simply check the box - not optima but it will work.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (2,463)