cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bill_Hand
Level 8

State machines

Will we be able to use state machines in Flow?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Perumal
Level 10

Re: State machines

State machines are not available in Flow. But state machines are available in Microsoft WorkFlow Manager.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Perumal
Level 10

State machines are not available in Flow. But state machines are available in Microsoft WorkFlow Manager.

View solution in original post

Bill_Hand
Level 8

Thanks.  Do you know if there is any thought to include them in the future?  Also, will Workflow Manager and Flow be able to work together?

Perumal
Level 10

Microsoft Flow is derived from Azure Logic Apps, and in Logic Apps also state machines are not available. WorkFlow Manager(WF Manager) and Flow can't work together. WF Manager is used by developers and Flow targets business users.

You can raise this as a feature request in Flow Ideas.

Highlighted
Bill_Hand
Level 8

Thank you.  I did raise it as a request.

If i had say a 3 step approval workflow and needed the ability to potentially send it backwards from one approver to another, is that something that could be done in Flow without a state machine?

patrickabel
Level: Powered On

Right now this is the biggest limitation preventing me from leveraging MS Flow with clients.

Microsoft Flow currently flows in a single direction (downstream) which makes it really tough to design and implement approval-driven workflows. Without state-machines, it's really not possible to "reject to a specific step" and automate a system that accounts for the real world back and forth nature of workflows.

I've considered doing this with multiple flows that conditionally change-states (by starting another workflow), but it's quite cumbersome to assemble and pass meta-data between them.

I'd love if we had a "jump to step" action that could be called based on a condition. 

Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (7,127)