Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MoEdu
Level: Powered On

Status changes email notification flow

Hi 

I have several statuses, pending, In Testing etc

What I want to do is create a flow where if there is a status change for an email to be sent out.

Can this be achieved in one flow and condition?

As it appears the only way I can achieve this is by creating multiple flows for each status

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Super User
Super User

Re: Status changes email notification flow

MoEdu:

Can you provide a little more information on what you need?  Specifically, are you storing you data in SharePoint or somewhere else?

If you are using SharePoint, neither SharePoint or Flow support monitoring the staus of a single column for change.  One technique is to create another column to store a copy of the data in your status column (you'll want to make this hidden).   When the list item is created, run a Flow that sets the value of the copy column equal to the value of the status column.  When a list item is changed you can do  the following in a Flow:

1. Compare the value of your status column with the value in the copy of the status column
  2. If the values are the same, do nothing
  3. If the values are not the same
    1. Send an email
    2. Set the value of the copied column to the current value of the status column

If this is what you need but you need additional explanation, please post here and I wil post screen shots.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ MoEdu,

Do you want to check if the value in the "status" column is changed and if the value in the "status" column is changed,send an email notification?

You could take a try create a "Yes/No" type column to record if the "status" column is changed when the item is modified,and you could name the column to "status is changed", the default value of the "status is changed" column is "No".

Note:

When create an item in the list, keep the "status is changed" column to "No".

When update an item in the list, if the "status" column is changed, modify the "status is changed" column to "Yes".

When update an item in the list, if the "status" column isn't changed, modify the "status is changed" column to "No".

You could add a condition under the trigger "When an item is created or modified" to check if the "status is changed" column is ture,if the "status is changed" column is true,add an "send an email" action inside the If yes branch of the condition, if the "status is changed" column is not true,do nothing.

You could refer to screenshot below to create the flow:

Capture.PNG

When an item is modified, and the "status" column is changed, you should change the "status is changed" column to Yes, and the flow would run successfully to send the email as below:

Capture.PNG

When an item is modified, and the "status" column isn't changed, you should change the "status is changed" column to No, and the flow would run successfully as below:

Capture.PNG

Regards,
Alice Zhang

MoEdu

found an alternative solution based on the following condition

Status value  > is not equal to > "Pending Review"

Thank you all for your input 🙂

Super User
Super User

MoEdu:

You may want to consider the situation where edits are made to a list item and the status does not change.  In that case, your users may receive emails even though the status did not change when using your proposed solution.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Administrator
Administrator

Hello, @MoEdu!

Have you had a chance to apply @v-yuazh-msft ‘s recommendation to adapt your Flow? If yes, and you find that solution to be satisfactory, please go ahead and click “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Thank you for being an active member of the Flow Community!

-Gabriel

(Flow Community Admin)

-Gabriel
Microsoft Power Automate Community Manager
Are YOU a member of your local Power Automate User Group?
Fill out This Form to claim your Community User Group Member Badge!
feilda

THis is helpful but screen shots would be even more helpful.  Adding one thing would be even better.

I have a custom list.  It has a status column with about 5 options listed.

I want an email notification to go to the person who adds a list item when the item is added.

Then i want emails to go to the person who added the item, and the person who is assigned the item, each time the status changes.  

feilda

I want to learn more....

I have a custom list with a status column.  I want an email to go to the person adding an item to the list, then an additional email to go to the person who adding the item and the person assigned the item each time their is a status change.  Can you pleaase send screen shots.  Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,602)