cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Targetting a slack user with dynamic content from Sharepoint

Our company has a calendar in Sharepoint online which we use as a roster - a different person is rostered to do something each day. The calendar has a 'who' field which looks up from our company directory. 

I'm playing around with the Slack connector and it's working great if I hard code in the user. I'd like though to be able to specifically target a user for notification based on their 'who' field. All users in our company have a slack account (provisioned via SAML from Azure AD) and the slack handle for each user exactly matches the email prefix (eg. someuser@company.com has a slack handle of @someuser).

Does anybody have any suggestions of how to do this?

To sumarise - I want to assign the calendar entry to Fred, and the flow should send a private message via Slack to @fred - so I need to pull the username dynamically.

Many thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Re: Targetting a slack user with dynamic content from Sharepoint

That is a resonable request yet it's not possible in flow to pull the username dynamically. I think?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Targetting a slack user with dynamic content from Sharepoint

Yeah I couldn't work out how to do it so I came up with a workaround.

I've set up a Sharepoint workflow (triggers on new item) to figure out what the Slack username is based on the email address and write it back to the list item. I set the flow to run when an entry is changed. The workflow also sets a couple of other things, including a condition which I use within the flow to determine if it should act or not.

Not ideal really, to have two different processes hanging together to do something seemingly basic, but it works well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Super User Program Update

Three Super User rank tiers have been launched!

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Users online (7,559)