cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mapguymike
Level: Powered On

Trigger on modification of existing data

I use a connector called Survey123. It is a separate application that is used to create and use forms. The trigger events are new form submitted and/or existing record edited. This connector was added to this app as a webhook after hundreds of previous submissions. When I set the connector to trigger on an existing record it only works on submissions after I added this webhook. In other words, after I set up this flow and submitted a new record it triggers. When I edit that new record it triggers. When I submit a record that existed prior to this connector even existing it doesn't trigger. Is this expected behavior by Power Automate? 

9 REPLIES 9
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Trigger on modification of existing data

Hi @mapguymike

I think it is the expected behavior.

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

mapguymike

Thanks. Would this also be the expected behavior on an existing Sharepoint list or an Office365 file like Excel? 

Super User
Super User

@mapguymike 

SharePoint has triggers that fire only when a new item is created and another trigger that fires when an item is created or changed.  I have written a blog post showing how to have the trigger fire only when an item has changed.

There are no Excel online triggers that fire when an item is created or updated.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
mapguymike

@ScottShearer 

I appreciate your answer and link to the blog post. I understand that you are specifically answering the question as it relates to Sharepoint.

I'm still trying to understand why my flow triggers only on new records while using the Survey123 connector and a record was

created and sent or

created, sent, edited, resent

AFTER the flow was set up?

Does PA do some behind the scene date check on the record to determine if it existed before or after the flow? It doesn't make sense to me why it would matter.

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@mapguymike 

I took a look at the Power Automate documentation for the Survey 123 trigger before answering your question but it does not offer any insight.  My suggestion is to contact Survey123 for answers as they created the trigger.  You might also refer to the survey 123 web site and do a search there.  Here is a link to the Survey 123 documentation for Flow/Power Automate.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @mapguymike ,

Have you do any research on it?

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

mapguymike

I have a technical support call scheduled for Wednesday with the company that provides the Survey123 connector. I will report what I find out. 

Super User
Super User

@mapguymike wrote:

I have a technical support call scheduled for Wednesday with the company that provides the Survey123 connector. I will report what I find out. 

Please provide an update as you can. Thanks!

👨🏻‍💻 If this reply answers your question or solves your issue, please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION ☑️. If you find this reply helpful, please consider giving it a LIKE 👍.

mapguymike

My case is still active with the Survey123 vendor. They are researching my issue. I may get an update next week.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Users online (5,414)