cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Understanding "API Call" limit for "Mail" connector

I use the "Mail" connector in a LOT of my flows. Pretty much any time I want to have a flow send an email without it being attributed to an individual or use the end-user's Outlook mailbox, that's what I choose. Recently, I created a flow that took form responses, formatted each submission and emailed (using the Mail connector) the submitter a summary in PDF format. I didn't know when creating this flow just how many people would be filling out the form over the course of a couple days. 

Basically, there were a handful of flow runs that were sort of "hung" at the send email action with a status of 429 (see below), which (I think?) indicates that the limit of connections for that action has been exceeded. Looking at the documentation (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/sendmail/), there is an "API calls per connection" limit of 100 calls in 24 hours. What I'm trying to understand is the scope of that. For example, does that mean that this particular flow can only send 100 emails via that connector in a 24 hour period? Or, does it mean that all of the flows that I've built using that connector (which is a lot) have a combined/cumulative limit of 100 emails per 24 hours? As a workaround, I've had a shared mailbox created that I can use (in some cases) with the Outlook connector's "Send from a shared mailbox" action in place of the "Mail" connector's "Send an email" action. However, many of the flows I build are triggered from PowerApps, so they run as the user running the App, and I can't give "everyone" send as permission for that shared mailbox.

ChadVKealey_0-1595939733994.png

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ChadVKealey ,

I agree with the second opinion that  all of the flows that you have built using that connector (which is a lot) have a combined/cumulative limit of 100 emails per 24 hours.

Best Regards,

Alice

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

You "agree", but is that the actual answer? I"m looking for something definitive, not an opinion. In further digging, I found this page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/api-request-limits-allocations#what-is-a-micro...

On that page, it specifies the following, but "all Power Automate step actions" is still kind of vague. I suspect it means instances of that particular action in a particular flow. So, if there were, say, 4 or 5 such actions in one flow, each one would be able to send 100 emails per 24 hours. But, again, this is suspicion on my part, not fact. 

At a high level, below is what constitute an API call:

• Connectors – all API requests to connectors from Power Apps or Power Automate

• Microsoft Power Automate – all Power Automate step actions

Hi,

I'm also looking for clarification on the API calls for the Mail Connector.

API calls per connection: 100 within 24 hours

If I have 200 users using a Power App that submits a notification email through a Flow, does that count as 200 calls combined or is a connection associated with each user so each user has 100 API calls within the 24 hour period.
I'm also using Flow because I don't want the user's email to be sending the email but a instead a generic account which the Mail connector uses (microsoft@powerapps.com).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (20,894)