cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoeGurt
Frequent Visitor

Upon Approval move Folder in SharePoint

Good morning everyone!

I am doing something relatively common, with just enough subtle difference that I seem to be unable to get this fixed.

I have a Teams channel set up with several inspectors, and in the Files tab they throw all the job folders that require collaboration. Some access it through the Teams app, others through OneDrive for Business. The secretary views that document library through SharePoint.

What I need to do is for the Secretary to be able to send an approval request to one of the engineers, once he gives the okay that whole folder moves to another Document Library.

Basically in "Shared Documents/General" she needs to be able to right click, run a flow, one of the engineers approves it, then it gets moved.

It needs to move the whole folder because its not just a report or something, its everything that goes with it.

There is a trigger that is "for a selected file", there is also an automatic trigger "When a File is Created", but I do not see a Folder counterpart.

Can I just make a flow based off these "for a file" triggers, or am I out of luck getting the folders moved in SharePoint upon approval?

2 REPLIES 2
JoeGurt
Frequent Visitor

I have a bit of an update, not a good one though Here is the flow

JoeGurt_0-1661225004174.png

Looking good up until the "Move Folder" bit.
The error it is getting is as such, and I have no idea what it means
"Missing or mismatched field definition on the destination list for source field

JoeGurt_1-1661225220897.png

Got any ideas, I'm a little confused. I think the problem is in the "folder to move", so I am going to just try all the dynamic info from "get folder metadata" until it tells me something differently or works.

JoeGurt
Frequent Visitor

Well, it doesn't seem to like any of the dynamic info I feed it. Maybe the "Move Folder" function doesn't work with dynamic information?

So I switched gears and looked at making various Automatic triggers work for my task. The gist of the flows would be "When a folder is cretated in this folder, run an approval. If approved, move folder into a folder in a different library"
However these triggers only seem to be geared towards files, not folders.

Is there really no way to move folders around with dynamic info in Power Automate? Has this just been overlooked?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Users online (2,962)