cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
P00118510
Level: Powered On

attachment to list using Flow

Hi everyone, 

I've been tasked with creating a time tracker and approval process for my organization. The basics are: around 130 employees, 6 managers; the employees are exempt and non-exempt; clock in and clock out everyday (clock in and out for lunch as well for the non-exempt employees). The clock in and and out methods will be via smartphone or if smartphone not an option then at computer. For the days employee is out, they will have to submit an absence form. Therefore at end of week all clock ins plus any absence forms (if applicable) will equal 40 hours. 

I created a SharePoint list (TimeTracker) and a document library (TimeTrackerDepositoryLibrary) for document storage. I also created a button that will trigger the process for clock in and out. I also added a file option attachment to the trigger. Then created the flow to update the list and attach a file to the same record if any. After than notifications go out. 

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the file attachment to update or to be created/attached to the sharepoint list or the library with the user's record. What am I doing wrong? 

I see that there are options to have that file attachment processed thru PowerApps or thru e-mail but I do not want the users to go thru either of those methods. 

I'm trying to figure out the attachment problem from above and then will move on to the other aspects of the process such as overtime flags, overtime approval, e-mails to managers for approval of work week hours, etc....

Please help with the attachment issue. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
AKRogers
Level 8

Re: attachment to list using Flow

Hi @P00118510

Let me know if I'm understanding the gist of this correctly or if I've missed a step that you need: Users can add file content on the trigger, and you're creating a new SharePoint item that you'd like that file to be attached to? 

The steps for this are pretty straightforward, but the trick is that the SharePoint item needs to be created first.  After that, use an Add attachment action where the ID comes from the previous Create item action.  The File Content is just the "File Content" from your trigger.  Take a look:

CreateItemAttachment_111319.png

I hope that helps!

Ashley

If this response provided an answer to your question please mark it as a solution so that others can find it.

If you found this helpful, consider giving it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
AKRogers
Level 8

Hi @P00118510

Let me know if I'm understanding the gist of this correctly or if I've missed a step that you need: Users can add file content on the trigger, and you're creating a new SharePoint item that you'd like that file to be attached to? 

The steps for this are pretty straightforward, but the trick is that the SharePoint item needs to be created first.  After that, use an Add attachment action where the ID comes from the previous Create item action.  The File Content is just the "File Content" from your trigger.  Take a look:

CreateItemAttachment_111319.png

I hope that helps!

Ashley

If this response provided an answer to your question please mark it as a solution so that others can find it.

If you found this helpful, consider giving it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

P00118510
Level: Powered On

Thank you so much. 

I changed "File Content" in the trigger button to say "Add attachment" and I couldn't find in the "Create File" action item. I changed it back to "File Content" per your screenshots and it worked. Thank you again 🙂

Any ideas how to assign managers to these employees and have weekly reports (not daily) sent out to them for approval of hours worked and copy of attachments with same absence forms?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,053)