Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
westerdaled
Post Patron
Post Patron

long running flows alternatives say for 1-3 years time

Hi

I  was asked today about triggering the sending of emails to spefic users ( approvers)  based on a ' resissue date' in a SharePoint online document library.  the approvers aren't particapting in a workflow in this case but just being prewarned. This got me thinking about the best way to implement this.

1. Do I scan through the documents in the library and create a flow per document item set to the reissue date. The resissue date are between 1-3 years tome.
  2. If the user later checks in the document with a differerent reissue date I want to remove the old flow and create a new one
  3. Should I use another technology such as SharePoint designer workflows.

Be interested to hear if anyone has implemented such a requirement

Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jaden
Microsoft
Microsoft

We currently support Flows running up to 30 days only.

However, this does not mean you cannot use a workflow that accomplishes what you seek to accomplish.

Regardless of the source of your data (SharePoint, an Excel sheet, a SQL database, etc.) you can always have a flow that runs, say, once a day (using the "Recurrence" trigger), queries your data source, and then checks to see if the date of an entry (e.g. the date the item was created, or maybe the value of the item or entry is the date of last issue), and if the value is a certain amount of days/months back (computed with a conditional) decide whether to trigger a reissue email or not (the check could be for 1 year old, 2 year old, etc. items).

I hope this helps.

Please do post if you would like more help with this.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Jaden
Microsoft
Microsoft

However, this does not mean you cannot use a workflow that accomplishes what you seek to accomplish.

Regardless of the source of your data (SharePoint, an Excel sheet, a SQL database, etc.) you can always have a flow that runs, say, once a day (using the "Recurrence" trigger), queries your data source, and then checks to see if the date of an entry (e.g. the date the item was created, or maybe the value of the item or entry is the date of last issue), and if the value is a certain amount of days/months back (computed with a conditional) decide whether to trigger a reissue email or not (the check could be for 1 year old, 2 year old, etc. items).

I hope this helps.

@Jaden wrote:

I hope this helps.

Hi 

Yes I like that option.  I am comparing with  a SPD workflow the does a similar sort of thing. My client is keen on SPD workfows so that is likely to be my direction of travel. Thanks as it always good to have an altnerative.

Daniel

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

MPA Licensing.jpg

Ask your licensing questions at the Power Automate AMA!

Join Priya Kodukula and the licensing team, super users and MVPs to find answers to your questions on Power Automate licensing.

Users online (1,965)