cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just want to customize a simple form using PowerApps!

PowerApps is the most frustrating tool introduced by Microsoft yet... although Flow is probably right up there with it. I'm ready to scrap this idea and go back to using InfoPath... why does it have to be so difficult? I created a list with 4 fields. All I want to do is customize the form using PowerApps, include a submit button, then publish and share a link to the form via email. I've already given up on the idea of changing my dropdown choice field to radio buttons... would be nice, but I've wasted too much time on this. I thought I had it figured out, but when I test it, the submit button does nothing (actually the Save button does nothing also). I've searched for hours on Google, and everything I find requires me to be Sheldon Cooper to figure it out. I'm sorry, I'm obviously frustrated! Are they any SIMPLE, EASY TO UNDERSTAND instructions out there??

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Re: I just want to customize a simple form using PowerApps!

Are you using the PowerApps custom form or PowerApps app? If you used either option in your list view PowerApps should have auto generated a working app/form. Did you go this route and did you test it out to verify it was working before making any changes?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I chose to customize the list using PowerApps Forms... I didn't test the auto-generated form before making changes, but all I really did was remove some fields, add a title, and added a button. When the button didn't work, I deleted the custom form and started over, then tested it without the button, and the Save button didn't work. But my folks are used to seeing a submit button, so I was really hoping to do that. So... I can't even get the Save button to work. I tried it in Internet Explorer and Edge.

Super User
Super User

Since you are using the PowerApps custom form then SharePoint provides the Save and Cancel buttons for your form. So when you say the Save button isn't working are your referring to the Save button that appears only in the SharePoint list?

If SharePoint Save button isn't working are you getting any errors? Do you have any fields that require unique values? Did you verify that you have at least contribute access on the list?

dww67
Level: Power Up

I read about power apps and decided it would be great to build an app without writing code. I don't use sharepoint. I was working off sql express connection. Instead of being able to add controls bound to tables to a form and create a record in another table, I found myself limited to picking a table to begin a form for. How is that useful? When I search for answers to these obstacles, I get a bunch of code suggestions. So this isn't "code free" programming at all. And there are no user friendly videos or instructions to walk me through. I keep going back, thinking, it must be more intuitive; I must be missing something. Surely I can create a text box and add a cpl drop downs to generate a new customer form. Then, after wasting another half hour, I remind myself of the "code free" marketing fluff, get frustrated, and promise not to try again. Access was easy. This is like blind man's bluff. Who has a whole day to learn how to make one control work?
LauraEmberson
Level: Powered On

Sorry to hear you're struggling... I promise it does get easier!!!

Something to check:

• Open your form
  • Click "SharePoint Integration" on the right hand side of the form box
  • Click "Advanced" in the far left box
  • Look at the 'Save' box and check it has SubmitForm(*NameofForm*)
  • also can after this you can add ;RequestHide()        this will close the form once a user saves which is handy.

Let me know how you get on Smiley Happy Smiley Happy