cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ExcelNut
Level: Powered On

List attachment works to save but not to open

I am now able to attach a file to a sharepoint list item and save the record using powerapps form.  When I got back into the record I can see the attachment.  However, when I click on it, IE11 just spins.  I can see moving dots at the top of the form but it never opens.  If I use a different browswer the attachment opens (either directly in Excel or as a download within the browser)

I went so far as to resent IE11 to default settings and restart my computer but the problem persists.

23 REPLIES 23
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: List attachment works to save but not to open

Thanks for reporting this.

I will forward this from my side.

As a workaorund, please switch to Microsoft Edge or Chrome temporarily.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Super User
Super User

@v-micsh-msft

I am seeing the same issue. Have you been able to confirm that this is a bug and if so, what is the update?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly.
If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
CP153319
Level 8

I just want to chime in that I posted about this a few weeks ago and a number of people have confirmed the issue. I'd love to use the custom Powerapps forms with SharePoint but I have 4,000 potential users who only have Internet Explorer to work with. Being able to open the attached files in IE is mandatory.

Highlighted
AaronWood
Level: Power Up

Chrome and Edge is not working for me at all. Here is my situation:

When trying to open an attachment from a Powerapp embedded in Teams, the attachment downloads (only 50% of the time) to the default download folder. 

When trying to open an attachment from IE 11, Chrome, or Edge, nothing happens. IE and Edge literally do nothing, whereas Chrome opens a tab for a brief second before closing it again.

This is mandatory functionality for my Corporation, and now I have hundreds of users screaming at me. I may have to go back to my workaround of launching a custom SharePoint edit form to get at the attachments...

CP153319
Level 8

In my original post about this several users chimed in and said that you can open the attachement in Chrome. Just throwing that out there... Not sure why it would work for some and not others.

ExcelNut

As of today, a Microsoft Support Engineer has "...confirmed that attachments don't open when using Internet Explorer".  He goes on to state "...I have engaged the Product Group..."

CP153319
Level 8

Thank you for the update.

Rather large bug, no? LOL

ExcelNut

I received a reply.  The answer is that in order for a Microsoft browser to work with Microsoft PowerApps form to open a Microsoft Excel attachment, we have to vote for that as a feature.  I think someone is trying to punk me.

"The PowerApps team confirmed that Attachment control for downloading is not supported in Internet Explorer. The workaround as you know is to use other browsers.  

There is no information as to when IE would support this control. 

My suggestion is to add your feedback to the Ideas forum to let the Product Group know that this is important."

emily8787

Have there been any other updates on this in response to it not working in Chrome?  I have many users who are unable to open attachments in Chrome as well.  They receive an error message in IE but not in chrome - it just spins.