cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tom_garvin
Level 8

Sample Apps Device detection

I have opened the sample "Site Inspection" app on my Windows 10 Phone and an Android tablet.

On the phone, I get the phone version, and on the tablet I get the version optimized for tablet.

I know these are separate apps because the screens and controls are optimized to each form factor.

Assuming I wanted to do the same thing, how would I go about it?

I realize I would need to make two apps, but I do not see where I can indicate "mobile only" or "tablet only" in the app itself.

I know I can open tablet apps on the phone, and vice versa, but these are my own.

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Sample Apps Device detection

Hi @tom_garvin,

You are correct about the part that you will need to create two apps. But what do you mean by "mobile only" or "tablet only" in the app itself? As even in sample apps, you do not have this option. On the phone, if you created both Phone Layout and Tablet Layout sample apps, then you will see both apps on the phone. And you can open both version on the phone. You do not have this "mobile only" or "tablet only" option. 

The only difference was that the sample app will add "- Phone"/"- Tablet" to the end of the name to make it easier for users to distinguish them.

Both apps could be seen on my phone:

Capture.PNG

How it shows after I open the tablet layout on phone:

webwxgetmsgimg.jpg

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
tom_garvin
Level 8

Let me clarify my experience:

1. Windows Phone 10 Sample Apps - I find one "Site Inspection" app.
  2. I open it and it is sized for a phone, as you would expect.
  3. Android Tablet Sample Apps - I fine one "Site Inspection" app.
  4. I open it and it is sized for the tablet.

Perhaps the display of Sample Apps is implicitly filtered for the device the PowerApps player is running on.

Given that I have to build two "parallel" apps, optimized for each form factor, I'd like to be able to do the same.

Why display TWO versions of my app on a device, and expect the user to choose between phone or tablet, when it appears possible to filter that list?

tom_garvin
Level 8

Let me clarify my experience:

1. Windows Phone 10 Sample Apps - I find one "Site Inspection" app.
  2. I open it and it is sized for a phone, as you would expect.
  3. Android Tablet Sample Apps - I fine one "Site Inspection" app.
  4. I open it and it is sized for the tablet.

Perhaps the display of Sample Apps is implicitly filtered for the device the PowerApps player is running on.

Given that I have to build two "parallel" apps, optimized for each form factor, I'd like to be able to do the same.

Why display TWO versions of my app on a device, and expect the user to choose between phone or tablet, when it appears possible to filter that list?

computech
Level: Powered On

This is a must.

It would be great for the app to have a property to select that would allow for hiding in the player if the screen aspect ratio does not match the aspect ratio of the app. This way you could create multiple apps and share with the same users but the users player would only show the relevant app.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, September 18th at 8am PDT

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 116 members 4,311 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: