cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
scotthanks
Level: Powered On

SharePoint choice columns broken with Jan. 18 PowerApps update

It looks like a recent update to PowerApps, I'm assuming the most recent, has broken the integration with SharePoint choice columns.  I'm updating an app I created months ago.  I added another SharePoint choice column to an edit form, but it immediately gives an error, "The data source supplied to the function is invalid", on the DataCardValue control.  The options on the data card and DataCardValue controls are totally different than previously added choice columns.

Here's the data card options for one I previously added:

OldDataCard.png

Here's a screenshot of the DataCardValue control:

OldDataCardValue.png

Now here's the data card settings for the choice column I just added to the form:

NewDataCard.png

And the DataCardValue control for the new card:

NewDataCardValue.png

Can someone please explain how this is supposed to work now?  And also, can someone from Microsoft explain why you keep breaking stuff that works with new updates?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
scotthanks

Re: SharePoint choice columns broken with Jan. 18 PowerApps update

To answer your question, the app is now on PowerApps version 2.0.750.

I believe I found the source of the problem.  The name of the SharePoint list the app uses was changed after I created the app.  The data connection and all references to the list throughout the app still used the original list name.  I did not bother changing it because everything still worked just fine.

To see if that could be causing the issue, I added a new data source for the list, and updated the forms to use the new data source.  Then I added a choice column to the edit form.  It now works as expected with the new combo box.

Thank you for your help, @Jeff_Thorpe

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

In the latest release PowerApps switched from using the Lookup control to the Combo box. This should only apply to new fields being added to the form (which is your use case). I have ben able to successfully use the new combo box choice field with my custom Powerapps SharePoint form. Did you make any changes to the DataCard or DataCardValue? I ask because I see in your screenshot that the lock icon is missing meaning that the field has been customized. I would recommend deleting the custom card and re-adding the field to see if you are still getting the error before making any changes.

Latest PowerApps update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
scotthanks

Thanks for your amazingly fast reply, @Jeff_Thorpe.  The error appears as soon as I add the card to the form.  I had unlocked the card in hopes of finding some way to resolve the error.  I just tried adding a new form on a new screen in the app.  None of my choice, lookup, or people lookup columns work in that form, either.  However, if I create a new app, they work as expected.  Did you test from an app that you created with a previous version of PowerApps, or was it with a new app?

There must be some way to get this working the way it's supposed to in my existing app.  Certainly Microsoft doesn't expect us to rebuild our apps from scratch whenever they put out a new version.

Super User
Super User

I have tried it in existing forms in both the SharePoint generated Powerapp and the PowerApps custom form for SharePoint. I haven't see any issues with the SP Choice column working in the new Combo Box. You might want to verify that your app is using the latest version of PowerApps by going to the version history page. Also since the error appears to be coming from the Items property of the Combo box you could unlock the card and put your cursor into the formula bar for Items and see if it identifies which portion of the formula is causing the error. You could also try removing the formula and manually recreate the formula to see if any additional issues are identified. Maybe the system generated formula as a typeo (long shot).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
scotthanks

To answer your question, the app is now on PowerApps version 2.0.750.

I believe I found the source of the problem.  The name of the SharePoint list the app uses was changed after I created the app.  The data connection and all references to the list throughout the app still used the original list name.  I did not bother changing it because everything still worked just fine.

To see if that could be causing the issue, I added a new data source for the list, and updated the forms to use the new data source.  Then I added a choice column to the edit form.  It now works as expected with the new combo box.

Thank you for your help, @Jeff_Thorpe

ehakimi

same happen for me but I haven't change my list name (although the display name and internal name are different)

also all of my field has been fully customized (change the color and other setting so I can not re-add them)

There are about 40 fields and 8 choice.

This is happening to me for the third time and I hope the fix by MS team soon. The last 2 times, I delete and re-add those combo boxes and customize again. tooks 2 hours or more ...

really hope that fix soon.

@Jeff_Thorpe  let me know if you need more details

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, August 21st at 8am PDT

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Let's thank our top community contributors

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

FifthImage

Dynamics 365 and Power Platform April 2019 Release notes

Features releasing from April 2019 through September 2019!

SixthImage

Power Summit Australia 2019

August 20-23rd 2019

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 248 members 4,033 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: