Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheSlawekG
Helper III
Helper III

When a file is created - but only for one file

Hi,

I read this post but not sure if it suits me (https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Using-Flows/Sharepoint-When-A-file-is-created-one-file-at-a-time...).

I have a flow like this:

TheSlawekG_0-1709684002856.png

In words:

I have an SP List with Customer Names and their email addresses.

Finance drops an invoice pdf into a folder. The flow kicks off.

The flow should set varAttachmentName, the file name in the format "1234567 - CustomerName".

varInvoiceNumber and varCustomerName are subtracts of the name and are 1234567 and CustomerName.

Then I check the email address of the Customer, get the content of the file, and send an email to the customer with the Subject including the Invoice number and the attachment/invoice added.

The flow is set to check the folder every minute (troubleshooting the problem I learned that it can be every second, not sure when the option was added). Perhaps changing it to every second would solve my problem but will ask anyway.

As you can see on the screenshot, the flow seems to see sometimes the second file, or even 3rd or 4th file.

In that unfortunate situation, the varInvoiceNumber and varCustomerName are set with the last values from the varAttachemntName loop and then the Customer email is taken comparing the last value and to this email address, all the invoices are sent.

How I can make sure that the flow runs only for one file or if 5 or 10 files are dropped into the folder, every file will have its flow and data will not be mixed up?

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Slawek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
creativeopinion
Super User
Super User

@TheSlawekG Can you try to switch to the Classic Designer to see if that helps? The New Designer is still buggy. I've tested my flow with the same trigger by dragging and dropping files as well as using the Upload button in the document library and the flow triggers for each file uploaded.

If that doesn't help you, since you've already edited your flow in the new designer you may need to create a brand new flow—switch to the Classic Designer first then continue building your flow. 

Hope this helps!

If I helped you solve your problem—please mark my post as a solution .
Consider giving me a 👍 if you liked my response! If you're feeling generous— ️  Buy me a coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/acreativeopinion

👉 Watch my tutorials on YouTube
👉 Tips and Tricks on TikTok

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
creativeopinion
Super User
Super User

@TheSlawekG Can you upload a screenshot of what you are looping through in your Apply to Each actions? In the meantime, you might find this tutorial helpful: 3 Mistakes YOU 🫵 are Making with the Apply to Each Action in your Microsoft Power Automate Flow

In this video tutorial I’ll go over how to avoid these common mistakes when using the Apply to Each action in a Power Automate flow:

1️⃣ Looping through a Single Item

2️⃣ Creating Unnecessary Nested Loops

3️⃣ Looping through an Unfiltered Array

At the end of the video I share a few helpful insights when it comes to using the Apply to Each action in your flow.

I'll also cover:

How to avoid the Apply to Each action with a single item array

How to use the item() function to access dynamic content in an array

How to prevent unnecessary nested Apply to Each action loops

How to use the Select action

How to convert an array to a string with the Select action

How to use the Filter Query field

How to count the number of items in an array

How to use a condition control

How to use the concurrency control

How to set a top count

How to use Compose actions for troubleshooting

Hope this helps!

Consider giving me a 👍 if you liked my response! If you're feeling generous— ️  Buy me a coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/acreativeopinion

v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TheSlawekG ,

As @creativeopinion mentioned, there shouldn't be an Apply to each loop for the uploaded file that triggers the flow:

vjefferni_0-1709691313358.png

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

TheSlawekG
Helper III
Helper III

Hi,

@v-jefferni I know there should not be a loop but it was added automatically.

@creativeopinion Thanks for the video, I followed it and applied it to my flow. However, when I wanted to test it I uploaded 10 files but the flow started only once. The other 9 files are sitting in the folder and are not processed. Why is that?

Thanks

Regards

Slawek

@TheSlawekG Can you upload a screenshot of your current flow in edit mode? If you are using the When a new file is created (properties only) trigger, the flow will only trigger for the file that was created. 

For the other 9 files that weren't processed, was the flow triggered?

TheSlawekG
Helper III
Helper III

Hi,

TheSlawekG_0-1710171522999.png

One file was processed and moved to _SentInvoices and the rest 9 is still waiting:

TheSlawekG_1-1710171635913.png

Regards

Slawek

@TheSlawekG When you say that 9 are still waiting, can you clarify what you mean? When you look at the flow run history, does it show that he flow ran 10 times? Or does it only show that the flow ran once? 

For example, I just ran a test and I dropped in 3 files. This is the flow run history. 

creativeopinion_0-1710179552817.png

Do you see 10 runs or only 1?

TheSlawekG
Helper III
Helper III

@creativeopinion this is my flow:

TheSlawekG_0-1710232453373.png

- Set varAttachmentName - it full attachment name 123456789 - Slawek.pdf

- Initialize varInvoiceNumber takes only the Invoice number from the Attachment name

- Initialize varCustomerName takes only what is after dash - in that case Slawek

- Get item with Customer Data is filtered query to get the Customer email address from another SP List - Title eq 'varCustomerName'

- Get attachment content - no need for explanation

- Send email sends email to the Customer with the Invoice attached

- Move file moves file to _SentInvoices filder

By saying that 9 files still waiting I mean, that I went to the Document Library and Upload manually 10 files, which I did before I prepared the answer again (I deleted yesterday's files):

TheSlawekG_1-1710232898878.png

The Flow started only once sending me Invoice number 9 and moving it to the folder. The rest 9 files are still waiting and it's been 15 minutes.

TheSlawekG_2-1710233053039.png

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Slawek

TheSlawekG
Helper III
Helper III

Hi,

@creativeopinion this is my Flow:

TheSlawekG_0-1710241508367.png

- Set varAttachmentName sets the variable with full attachment name 123456789 - SLAWEK.pdf

- Initialize varInvoiceNumber sets 123456789

- Initialize varCustomerName sets SLAWEK

- Get item with Customer Data queries another SP List with email addresses - Title eq 'varCustomerName'

- Get attachment content no explanation needed

- Send email to the Customer with the attachment

- Move file to _SentInvoices folder

By saying that 9 files are still waiting I meant that I used the Upload button and uploaded 10 files but only one file was processed and I received one email only:

TheSlawekG_1-1710241847144.png

The flow was run only once and 9 files are still sitting in the Document Library:

TheSlawekG_2-1710241979690.png

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Slawek

Hi,

@creativeopinion this is my flow:

TheSlawekG_0-1710242231409.png

By saying that 9 files are still waiting I mean that I uploaded 10 files and only one was processed:

TheSlawekG_1-1710242324098.png

The flow started only once and sent me one invoice.15 minutes later the other 9 invoices are still sitting in the folder. The flow started only once:

TheSlawekG_2-1710242429768.png

Thanks for your help!

Regards

Slawek

creativeopinion
Super User
Super User

@TheSlawekG Can you try to switch to the Classic Designer to see if that helps? The New Designer is still buggy. I've tested my flow with the same trigger by dragging and dropping files as well as using the Upload button in the document library and the flow triggers for each file uploaded.

If that doesn't help you, since you've already edited your flow in the new designer you may need to create a brand new flow—switch to the Classic Designer first then continue building your flow. 

Hope this helps!

Hi @creativeopinion 

I recreated the flow in Classing Designer and it works as expected. 10 files were uploaded to the folder and the flow started 10 instances within a few seconds.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Slawek

Helpful resources

Announcements

Celebrating the May Super User of the Month: Laurens Martens

@LaurensM  is an exceptional contributor to the Power Platform Community. Super Users like Laurens inspire others through their example, encouragement, and active participation. We are excited to celebrated Laurens as our Super User of the Month for May 2024.   Consistent Engagement:  He consistently engages with the community by answering forum questions, sharing insights, and providing solutions. Laurens dedication helps other users find answers and overcome challenges.   Community Expertise: As a Super User, Laurens plays a crucial role in maintaining a knowledge sharing environment. Always ensuring a positive experience for everyone.   Leadership: He shares valuable insights on community growth, engagement, and future trends. Their contributions help shape the Power Platform Community.   Congratulations, Laurens Martens, for your outstanding work! Keep inspiring others and making a difference in the community!   Keep up the fantastic work!        

Check out the Copilot Studio Cookbook today!

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Copilot Studio Community. We can't wait for you to share your expertise and your experience!    Join us for an amazing opportunity where you'll be one of the first to contribute to the Copilot Cookbook—your ultimate guide to mastering Microsoft Copilot. Whether you're seeking inspiration or grappling with a challenge while crafting apps, you probably already know that Copilot Cookbook is your reliable assistant, offering a wealth of tips and tricks at your fingertips--and we want you to add your expertise. What can you "cook" up?   Click this link to get started: https://aka.ms/CS_Copilot_Cookbook_Gallery   Don't miss out on this exclusive opportunity to be one of the first in the Community to share your app creation journey with Copilot. We'll be announcing a Cookbook Challenge very soon and want to make sure you one of the first "cooks" in the kitchen.   Don't miss your moment--start submitting in the Copilot Cookbook Gallery today!     Thank you,  Engagement Team

Announcing Power Apps Copilot Cookbook Gallery

We are excited to share that the all-new Copilot Cookbook Gallery for Power Apps is now available in the Power Apps Community, full of tips and tricks on how to best use Microsoft Copilot as you develop and create in Power Apps. The new Copilot Cookbook is your go-to resource when you need inspiration--or when you're stuck--and aren't sure how to best partner with Copilot while creating apps.   Whether you're looking for the best prompts or just want to know about responsible AI use, visit Copilot Cookbook for regular updates you can rely on--while also serving up some of your greatest tips and tricks for the Community. Check Out the new Copilot Cookbook for Power Apps today: Copilot Cookbook - Power Platform Community.  We can't wait to see what you "cook" up!    

Welcome to the Power Automate Community

You are now a part of a fast-growing vibrant group of peers and industry experts who are here to network, share knowledge, and even have a little fun.   Now that you are a member, you can enjoy the following resources:   Welcome to the Community   News & Announcements: The is your place to get all the latest news around community events and announcements. This is where we share with the community what is going on and how to participate.  Be sure to subscribe to this board and not miss an announcement.   Get Help with Power Automate Forums: If you're looking for support with any part of Power Automate, our forums are the place to go. From General Power Automate forums to Using Connectors, Building Flows and Using Flows.  You will find thousands of technical professionals, and Super Users with years of experience who are ready and eager to answer your questions. You now have the ability to post, reply and give "kudos" on the Power Automate community forums. Make sure you conduct a quick search before creating a new post because your question may have already been asked and answered. Galleries: The galleries are full of content and can assist you with information on creating a flow in our Webinars and Video Gallery, and the ability to share the flows you have created in the Power Automate Cookbook.  Stay connected with the Community Connections & How-To Videos from the Microsoft Community Team. Check out the awesome content being shared there today.   Power Automate Community Blog: Over the years, more than 700 Power Automate Community Blog articles have been written and published by our thriving community. Our community members have learned some excellent tips and have keen insights on the future of process automation. In the Power Automate Community Blog, you can read the latest Power Automate-related posts from our community blog authors around the world. Let us know if you'd like to become an author and contribute your own writing — everything Power Automate-related is welcome.   Community Support: Check out and learn more about Using the Community for tips & tricks. Let us know in the Community Feedback  board if you have any questions or comments about your community experience. Again, we are so excited to welcome you to the Microsoft Power Automate community family. Whether you are brand new to the world of process automation or you are a seasoned Power Automate veteran - our goal is to shape the community to be your 'go to' for support, networking, education, inspiration and encouragement as we enjoy this adventure together.     Power Automate Community Team

Hear what's next for the Power Up Program

Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram, including a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the link below to sign up today! https://aka.ms/PowerUp  

Tuesday Tip | How to Report Spam in Our Community

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   As our community family expands each week, we revisit our essential tools, tips, and tricks to ensure you’re well-versed in the community’s pulse. Keep an eye on the News & Announcements for your weekly Tuesday Tips—you never know what you may learn!   Today's Tip: How to Report Spam in Our Community We strive to maintain a professional and helpful community, and part of that effort involves keeping our platform free of spam. If you encounter a post that you believe is spam, please follow these steps to report it: Locate the Post: Find the post in question within the community.Kebab Menu: Click on the "Kebab" menu | 3 Dots, on the top right of the post.Report Inappropriate Content: Select "Report Inappropriate Content" from the menu.Submit Report: Fill out any necessary details on the form and submit your report.   Our community team will review the report and take appropriate action to ensure our community remains a valuable resource for everyone.   Thank you for helping us keep the community clean and useful!

Users online (4,510)