Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spikyface
Advocate I
Advocate I

Lookup field search issue

I have a model driven app which uses custom entities

I have a lookup field on Entity B which references Entity A

The default view on the Main form for this lookup field is set to the Lookup view for Entity A

The primary name field for Entity A is set to Entity A Id, which is an autonumber

The lookup view for Entity A contains only two fields: Forename and Surname

BUT whenever anyone searches using this lookup field by typing into the box, it only ever returns results if you enter an Id, it never returns a result when you enter text, even if it's for a known forename or surname

We have other model driven apps in the same environment and they do not have this issue

I have deployed the problematic app to two other environments and it displays the same behaviour for all users in every environment

This makes no sense to me and the only way I can fudge it to return a result when I type a name in is to change the primary name field entirely from being an autonumber to text and change all the data in that field for every row to be a name, which is an extreme fudge for functionality that just works in the other apps

Any ideas how to fix this ? It's holding up final UAT before this app goes live

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisPiasecki
Super User
Super User

Hi @Spikyface,

To be able to search on a column, you need to open up the Quick Find view of the table, then click "Add Find Column", then select the columns you wish to be searchable. If you don't see your column in the list, ensure the "Searchable" option is checked on your column setting (by default this is selected whenever you create the column).

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisPiasecki
Super User
Super User

Hi @Spikyface,

To be able to search on a column, you need to open up the Quick Find view of the table, then click "Add Find Column", then select the columns you wish to be searchable. If you don't see your column in the list, ensure the "Searchable" option is checked on your column setting (by default this is selected whenever you create the column).

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Thanks a lot @ChrisPiasecki you saved my bacon and a lot of head scratching between us! We kept thinking it had to be something simple but couldn't figure out what, tunnel-vision I guess

Have a great weekend

ChrisPiasecki
Super User
Super User

Happens to the best of us @Spikyface. Glad your issue is solved. 😊

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,850)