cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maching
Frequent Visitor

Postgres connection

I have a Postgres instance runing on a  CentOS vm . The connectors list on the PowerApps site Postgres as a non standard , premium connector, however i have found so far from searching that it is not supported. Is it suported and how do i go about connecting my powerapp set up to it so i can use it as a datasource?. Anyone else have a similar issue?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
v-micsh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @maching,

It should be supported by now.

As it is listed in the available connections list:

32.PNG

Connecting to PostgresSQL would need to install a gateway first.

Currently there is no document published for PostgresSQL about the connecting steps.But I think it should be similar with the steps for Oracle:

Connecting to Oracle Database from PowerApps, Flow and Logic Apps

Or you may take a reference of the following thread:

PostgreSQL Connection through On-premise Data Gateway

Quoted:

"

Hello,

for ODBC connection to postgres you need to get installed ODBC driver for postgres;i am using PostgresSQL Unicode(x64).

After that you have 2 options:

1) create user DSN via ODBC data source administrator (C:\Windows\System32\odbcad32.exe). In that case the connection string for ODBC data source is "dsn=dsn_name" where dsn_name represents the user dsn created via tool above

2) alternative option for connection string is: driver={PostgreSQL Unicode(x64)};server=server_name;port=5432;database=db_name

where server_name represents a server name or its IP, db_name is name of database.

For using on-premise gateway you need to use ODBC connection to postgress on power bi desktop. Then you need to configure data sources using ODBC the same way on on-premise gateway.

I am using above approach for connection to multiple different postgres databases.

I hope it helps.

Kind regards

M

"

That is the steps under Power BI desktop.

For PowerApps, the string you should take notice of is:

33.PNG

Hope the information above is helpful,

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

maching
Frequent Visitor

Addendum. Yesterday i recreated a new gateway and it did not work. I went home, came in this morning. Tried to connect again using the normal postgres connection method and it works.....great that it works, but really MS?   this wasted a day for me and it seems i was doing everything right anyway.

Thanks for replying and confirming my connection actions. Hopefully i can explore what Powerapps can do now.

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3
v-micsh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @maching,

It should be supported by now.

As it is listed in the available connections list:

32.PNG

Connecting to PostgresSQL would need to install a gateway first.

Currently there is no document published for PostgresSQL about the connecting steps.But I think it should be similar with the steps for Oracle:

Connecting to Oracle Database from PowerApps, Flow and Logic Apps

Or you may take a reference of the following thread:

PostgreSQL Connection through On-premise Data Gateway

Quoted:

"

Hello,

for ODBC connection to postgres you need to get installed ODBC driver for postgres;i am using PostgresSQL Unicode(x64).

After that you have 2 options:

1) create user DSN via ODBC data source administrator (C:\Windows\System32\odbcad32.exe). In that case the connection string for ODBC data source is "dsn=dsn_name" where dsn_name represents the user dsn created via tool above

2) alternative option for connection string is: driver={PostgreSQL Unicode(x64)};server=server_name;port=5432;database=db_name

where server_name represents a server name or its IP, db_name is name of database.

For using on-premise gateway you need to use ODBC connection to postgress on power bi desktop. Then you need to configure data sources using ODBC the same way on on-premise gateway.

I am using above approach for connection to multiple different postgres databases.

I hope it helps.

Kind regards

M

"

That is the steps under Power BI desktop.

For PowerApps, the string you should take notice of is:

33.PNG

Hope the information above is helpful,

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

seem to have new errors now indicating  an error like this one

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Connect-to-PostgreSQL/td-p/11150

however i have tried several different vesions of the driver including the one cited as working. I have the Odbc driver installed and can connect usiing SSIS and visual studio. How do I select an odbc source connection? I follow the connection string etc. but how/what do I select at the beginning under the  "new connection" tab to be able to use this? I have a gateway set up and can connect to SQL server for example. It is very frustrating and is probably something stupid so if any one can provide a pictoral step by step versionI can at least ensure that I am doing all the right steps.

Cheers in advance

maching
Frequent Visitor

Addendum. Yesterday i recreated a new gateway and it did not work. I went home, came in this morning. Tried to connect again using the normal postgres connection method and it works.....great that it works, but really MS?   this wasted a day for me and it seems i was doing everything right anyway.

Thanks for replying and confirming my connection actions. Hopefully i can explore what Powerapps can do now.

Cheers

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,819)