Skip to main content

Notifications

Announcements

No record found.

Power Platform Community / Forums / General / Connecting a SharePoin...
General
Unanswered

Connecting a SharePoint Site to Copilot Studio Bot with Query Strings and Depth

Posted on by

Is there a workaround to connect a SharePoint site to my Copilot Studio Bot, even if the site contains query strings and is more than two levels deep, which goes against the rule of not including query strings, more than two levels of depth, or the character “.” in the URL?
I am concerned that connecting to the initial SharePoint site will result with a knowledge base that is too large for the bot, decreasing the accuracy of its responses, which is why I would like to connect only to a specific “sub-area” within SharePoint.

Categories:
  • CU11060635-0 Profile Picture
    CU11060635-0 on at
    Connecting a SharePoint Site to Copilot Studio Bot with Query Strings and Depth
    Can you please provide a clear description of how can we add URL's which is more than two level deep or in particular make it point to document library?

• mr_dbc Profile Picture
    mr_dbc on at
    Re: Connecting a SharePoint Site to Copilot Studio Bot with Query Strings and Depth

@CleanFox I had the same query?

• CleanFox Profile Picture
    CleanFox on at
    Re: Connecting a SharePoint Site to Copilot Studio Bot with Query Strings and Depth

Do we know if/when Microsoft plans to implement a solution that would eliminate the need for a workaround?

• adilei Profile Picture
    adilei on at

That might be true, but it's also true of almost any RAG pattern - not just the workaround I suggested. If you build your own query to Graph API, you could try to add filters based on your use case to reduce the population of relevant results.

CleanFox on at

yes, and if i have a large library, the chance that some of the N top results are not the exact that i want. which is why i want to utilize a smaller library (which also consists of multiple documents and folders, though not as many as the main library).  But according to the video, the example only utilized a webpage consisting of a single article, which is why i think that solution might not be viable for my case.
    Though I might be wrong, or misunderstanding some key aspect.

• adilei Profile Picture
    adilei on at

Not sure I follow - when you implement a RAG pattern only the N top results are being fed to the LLM for summarization. This is also how Gen Answers work OOTB.

CleanFox on at

This does seem like a good workaround when referencing a web page which is an article, but I'm hesitant that this would work on a much larger library of files and folders.
    Even if this would work, I'm guessing it would need to search through all for each response which would take a long time, and it would not be "trained" on the documents, rather searching and extracting for each user question.
    In my case, I don't think this solution would be viable.

• adilei Profile Picture
    adilei on at

There is not workaround that I know of as much as a custom pattern: build a Power Automate flow that would query Graph API and feed the results to "custom data" in the Gen Answers node. 

This video is a good place to start.

• Re: Connecting a SharePoint Site to Copilot Studio Bot with Query Strings and Depth

I have the same issue - we have a deep SharePoint structure with actually many of our libraries created in teams. I cant use Copilot for M365 or Copilot Studio to reference these libraries as it only supports two levels deep. Anyone found a workaround please.

CleanFox on at

The URL below is a changed version of the real URL, adjustments have been made to secure potensial "sensitive info?". The URL i want to use as my bots knowledge base is similar to:
    companyname.sharepoint.com/teams/Firmname/Shared%20Documents/Forms/AllItems.aspx?FolderCTID=0x01202035D46F4DD00F1B1294A22D1A0ABa8623&id=%2Fteams%2FDatabasename%2FShared%20Documents%2FDB%20review%20blue%20C5_4%2FFB%20V09%2020%2E12%2E23%2Fdatabase%20G%20firm%26s%20documents%202023&viewid=fe50fa13-a6fb-4756-b274-b1f748da739b

The "Main SharePoint site" that i used as a test which works looks like:
    companyname.sharepoint.com/teams/Firmname/
    However, this may result in an excessively large database for the bot to handle.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Exciting News for Copilot Studio Communi…

Get ready to experience a whole new level of engagement with the Copilot Studio…

Celebrating the May Super User of the…

LaurensM is an exceptional contributor to the Power Platform Community…

Check out the Copilot Studio Cookbook…

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Community…