Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resource attempting to access is locked

I have seen numerous posts on this, but I don't think this has ever been solved.


For me I have two flows.

1.  This one take over an hour to run.  I am using Excel Online Business as the files I am accessing are on a One Drive for Business Service account.  The List Rows is at the very beginning.  At the end I have a piece that moves the file to another folder.

Flow 1.JPG


This one I have no issues with, it runs fine each time.


The second flow I have the List rows is more towards the end, and this one only takes like 20 seconds.

I USED to have a part at the very end where it would look for files, find the file we were pulling table data from, and move it to another folder.  Each time, we would fail on this step with the following:

flow 2.JPGFlow 3.JPG


As you can see, I even tried a Delay of 2 minutes.  I would still get the locked error.

The file was NOT open, and I could open it, move it, and delete it, once the flow was over (manually in File Explorer).

I am using the Excel Online Business Connector for all my flows.

I figured since the other works all the time, maybe Flow is holding onto the connection in the background or something.

So I created a seperate flow that would come in and move the file.  I ran this after the main flow ran.

I STILL got the resource locked.


Has anyone figured anything out on the resource locked with Excel connector being used?



Hi @lardo5150 


As per the documentation, the file could be locked for upto 6 minutes. You might want to add a slightly more delay of about 7 minutes and try again.


Hope this Helps!


If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Not applicable

I had the same issue, and checked that the document was in a secure or protected mode. By just disabling that the issue has been solved.

New Member

I faced the same issue.

The Excel business connector locks the excel for 6mins for update or delete of file.

So set a delay of 7+ mins and try.

This solved my problem.


New Member

If the problem exists even after including delay of 7+ mins.

Try removing the delay and simply run the workflow after 7mins.

This should work.

Helpful resources

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

Carousel_PP_768x460_Wave2 (1).png

2022 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2022 through March 2023.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (5,980)