cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johncbibbs
Level: Powered On

Check for Conflict When Creating a New Event

Hello,

I have a flow that I've been running for a while that is triggered whenever a new event is added to my calendar that adds a 15-minute hold to my calendar before and after the event that was created.  I do this to stop people from booking me in back to back meetings so I have time to travel between meeting rooms, so I can check in with my team if needed, check my email, etc.

The flow itself is built and I've been using it for about a year however I see a few opportunities for improvement that I'm hoping someone can help me with.  

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make flow check to see if there is a calendar conflict with the name "Hold" before creating the new 15 minute holds.

Can someone help me with this, please?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Re: Check for Conflict When Creating a New Event

Hi @johncbibbs , thanks for posting in the Flow Community.

I would suggest using "Get events (V3)", somewere in your Flow. Some info below:

Consider this view of the action using an Odata filter looking for Subect of "Hold" as you have suggested.Capture-543.png

It returns the following:Capture-541.png

I guess before you amend your Flow creates an event it looks in this way to see if one called Hold is there or not.

p.s. The filter can target other fields too, dates for example. Loads of information on the web about constructing the filter whether that be "filter query" or "order by" but here is a starting point - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/search/query-odata-filter-orderby-syntax

Please let me know how you get on with this type of approach.

If you have found my post helpful, please mark thumbs up.

Any other questions, just ask.

Thanks, Alan

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

johncbibbs
Level: Powered On

Re: Check for Conflict When Creating a New Event

Hi @AlanPs1,

How would this work?  What I am trying to do is to get Flow to check and see if there is already a hold on my calendar that would conflict with the one that the automation is about to create and if so terminate the flow.

Here's an example.

If I have a one-hour long meeting on my calendar at 10:00 AM it will also have a pre-meeting hold at 9:45 AM- 10:00 AM and a post-meeting hold from 11:00 AM - 11:15 AM.  

Now if someone else sends me a meeting invite for 11:15 AM because that is showing as my next availability I would end up with a second automatically created hold event on my calendar from 11:00 AM - 11:15 AM.  

I'm trying to figure out how to get the system to go "There is already a hold scheduled during that time so I'm not going to create another."

At the end of the day, it's not a huge deal if it can't be done.  It just means I have to go through once or twice a week a delete a few duplicate holds to keep my calendar clean.

Thanks for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,893)