cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pladavm
Helper V
Helper V

Cannot write file to filesource. File is being locked.

I have created several flows to update rows in Excel worksheet but I get this error a lot randomly, why does it say my file is locked? Even after I close the browser.

Details

Start time
Jun 29, 12:29 PM (2 minutes ago)
Duration
00:00:04
Status
Failed
Error
Action 'Insert row' failed
Error Details
Cannot write file to filesource. File is being locked. clientRequestId: 7f78bd52-b9ec-4ade-a3d1-d955aafdf79c serviceRequestId: 7f78bd52-b9ec-4ade-a3d1-d955aafdf79c;7f78bd52-b9ec-4ade-a3d1-d955aafdf79c;7f78bd52-b9ec-4ade-a3d1-d955aafdf79c
55 REPLIES 55

@pladavm wrote:

Received a response from Microsoft, it is because using the wrong Excel connector. Need to use Excel Online (Business) connector. 

Thanks a lot: works flawlessly! 

But why did it took so long to receive the correct answer?

emanon
Regular Visitor

The solution works, but why is there no 'add rows' command for the Excel Online (Business) connector?

This solved my problem. Apparently Powerapps hangs on and keeps Flow thinking something else is using it. Thanks for the help!

I am using Excel Online (Business) connector to "Update a row" and "Get a Row" in my Flow. I am still facing the "File is locked" issue.

Flow uses Excel Online (Business)Flow uses Excel Online (Business)

image.png

emanon
Regular Visitor

I am still seeing the problem, though it may be due to multiple flows interacting with the Excel sheet as well as multiple users from different computers using it through the day.  It is disappointing that there are this many issues with such an integral part of the Microsoft Office package.

In my case, I am the only user using the App with just one flow as I am still developing it. I haven’t opened the excel file today since I logged in to my computer. I am able to update the excel less frequently but the issue persists if I update repeatedly. I haven’t monitored the duration yet after which it allows me to update.
AdhamFH
Helper V
Helper V

Hello,

is this still an issue ? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pls close the excel file and reload.

I had the error and immediately i close the excel file, i reloaded and it worked for me.

No, you are wrong. The issue will still persist if you keep running the Flow (even if it doesn't at first, it will eventually happen again). 

The only solution is to use the business connector. 

I am having this error, and I am using the Excel Online Business Connector.

How often does this happen?

CChapman
Frequent Visitor

I am having this issue, but I'm not using Flow. I'm just using Patch within my PowerApps app to add a row to an Excel spreadsheet (in OneDrive for business) and it locks regularly, making my new attempts to add a row fail.

ADCommunity
Microsoft
Microsoft

The common issue such as the Excel file placed on OneDrive is open. But, another problem is with the table you define in PowerApp, if you assign the row size 1000000 which is maxed, in the current version of PowerApp. The APP which you are trying to build assign a PowerAppID key against all those blank rows/records & table assume to completely loaded to its limit, thus no new record is allowed to insert. Just keep the single row in the table, which helps PowerApp to identify your data types. And let PowerApp to handle your row limit.

Regards,
AD

dhallecon

I this forum post is stale.  I'm still having the issue.  Has there been a resolution?

Dhritiman

3 years yet no solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,771)