cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gorilla_8
Super User
Super User

Empty field - Choice column

I have a simple flow with condition to check if it will occur or not ...

So if it is "true", it resets a text field (Ok, working) and another field of "LookUp - Choice column", but the last one will not.

I've tried "null" and it doesn't work and zero tbm, and it won't ....

What would be the solution?

Thank you very much 😄

20 REPLIES 20
jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@Gorilla_8 I tried setting the value of choice column and it works, I have used update item action.

please can you post screenshots of what your flow looks like 

jinivthakkar_0-1613115515118.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Gorilla_8
Super User
Super User

@jinivthakkar 

Yes, I am using "Update item" too, but I wanna blank the choice

Gorilla_8_0-1613135447166.png

jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@Gorilla_8 I tried first having a blank value in column and then setting it to null and what I found was that SharePoint does not show me the blank value in the Update item action in Power Automate, additionally it also removes the blank value from the choice column option.

So what I did was I add a new value as -Select- as a option in choice column setting and then I am setting this value in the flow

jinivthakkar_1-1613137230073.png

jinivthakkar_0-1613137183830.png

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Gorilla_8
Super User
Super User

@jinivthakkar 

Yes, but I need it to be erased, nothing will appear.

One thing I didn't say is that this column is a "LookUp" field, and I need to delete it in the flow, that's my problem

Because then I will pass the data on to PowerBI

jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@Gorilla_8 be it choice column or lookup you won't be able to delete it in the flow.

The easiest solution is to have a another column which is a single line of text in which you show the value of lookup if it has value and set it to null/delete it from flow as required and then you are free to pass it to Power BI or any other application you want.

Hope this helps.

----------------------

Please like and Accept Solution.

Gorilla_8
Super User
Super User

@jinivthakkar 

Hi, so LookUp and choice column is not possible to be "NULL"? 

jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@Gorilla_8 yes thats correct, that cannot be done.

Gorilla_8
Super User
Super User

@jinivthakkar 

You got some documentantion about this?

jinivthakkar
Super User
Super User

@Gorilla_8 There is no documentation for everything from Microsoft. Like I said earlier I have already tried the choice column and it did not work and I know lookup column cannot be set to null.

@Gorilla_8  I think you should use one compose action and pass expression String(' ') (mind space here). Later in update action use Compose output. it will set choice field value as blank string.

Hardesh15_0-1613240190149.png

Please 'Thumbs Up' the posts that helped you and 'Mark as Solution' if my post answered your question.

@Hardesh

Gorilla_8
Super User
Super User

@Hardesh15 

Thanks for the help, I tried here with "string(' ')" didn't work...

@Gorilla_8  It is working at my end. How is it possible it is not working at your end. Please show me how did you try it?

Please 'Thumbs Up' the posts that helped you and 'Mark as Solution' if my post answered your question.

@Hardesh

Gorilla_8
Super User
Super User

@Hardesh15 

here

123.gif

The error text:

"OpenApiOperationParameterTypeConversionFailed. The 'inputs.parameters' of the 'Update_item_2' workflow operation of type 'OpenApiConnection' is not valid. Error details: The input parameter 'item / BusinessPlan / Id' must be of type 'Integer / int64'. The runtime value '""' to be converted does not have the expected format 'Integer / int64'."

@Gorilla_8  So my previous solution for choice column not for lookup column. In case of lookup column  flow pick lookup id and based on that id it set value in field. If you check carefully your lookup id is started with 1 (int type). Work around for such situation is: Create first entry blank in your lookup list. Why? because it will give you lookup id value as 1. Later in your flow pass this value int(1). it will work.

That blank value will not be visible in lookup column.

Hardesh15_0-1613325574296.png

Hardesh15_1-1613325615109.png

Version history for reference:

Hardesh15_2-1613325716513.png

@Hardesh

Saved me a lot of time - who would have figured it is so convoluted to clear drop list values.

Premsai908
Regular Visitor

Hi Everyone,
i am not sure this answer is already found by you or not, but on my research i found out that you can reset a choice field by selecting enter custom value and go to expressions and type '' but not "". it will work and your choice column field value will get reset

thanks and accept this answer if it works for you too

manpreetkaur
Regular Visitor

Use string(' ') in an expression.
shavora
Super User
Super User

I'm looking into this too. I have dataverse table that I need to reset the value of the choice column. Ideas? It has a drop-down. 

landonjochim
Resolver II
Resolver II

Within the Update Item action in your choice column, use "Enter Custom Value" then enter the expression string('')

landonjochim_0-1659128303003.png

This worked for me

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (5,030)