cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cassandra
Level: Powered On

Cannot Dynamically Update Task Status

I'm working on a flow that will create a series of Planner tasks in a new bucket to track the status of a request. The trigger is a new or modified SharePoint list item, which causes the flow to create a new task bucket with four new tasks. The SharePoint list has a yes/no field so that the bucket and new tasks are only created once.

I'd like to be able to dynamically mark these tasks complete as the actions are completed, rather than having the assignees go into Planner and mark them complete. My logic is to check whether the field has been filled, and if yes, mark the task "Complete." The issue is that in the second half of the flow, it errors out every time because it doesn't recognize the task ID. I've tried grabbing the dynamic ID, as well as saving that ID in SharePoint and inserting it as the ID, but neither seemed to work. Any suggestions?

Creating the task and saving the task ID to SharePoint:

Planner Flow1.JPG

Two methods of updating the task dynamically, neither of which seems to work:
Planner Flow2.png

Using either method, I get a 404 error that the task cannot be found.

1 REPLY 1
Super User
Super User

Re: Cannot Dynamically Update Task Status

@cassandra if you add in a 30 second delay schedule between the Create a task and the update that should work OK. The problem  with the way you've got it at the moment is that Flow is trying to find the task ID at exactly the same time  as it's creating it which is why you get the error. A short delay allows the task to be created before Flow needs to grab the Task ID as I've done in the image below. It's not exactly your scenario but it needs to get the Task ID.

Rob
Los Gallardos

0-Delay.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,892)