cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LaurenceL
Level: Power Up

Check triggerBody for existence of a property without crashing

Hi - how do I check for the existence of a field in the triggerBody? I cannot check for null or empty as this crashes if the property actually doesnt exist. These do not work @equals(triggerBody()['partnerId'], null) or @empty(triggerBody()['partnerId']) if "partnerId" doesnt exist. I need to check as my HTTP request can occasionally not send the required property.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LaurenceL

Re: Check triggerBody for existence of a property without crashing

this was solved by using the @contains function as in @contains(triggerBody(), 'partnerId')

6 REPLIES 6
LaurenceL

this was solved by using the @contains function as in @contains(triggerBody(), 'partnerId')

It does not really work for me

This still fails because genius MS Flow tries to evaluate `body('Start_single_approval')['comments']` expression even if you wrap it with if(contains()) 

if(contains(body('Start_single_approval'), '"comments": '), body('Start_single_approval')['comments'] ,'')

Highlighted
MasterOffice365
Level: Powered On

I also have the same issue where the contains function doesn't work checking for the existance of a property in an array. Exactly the same logic (i.e. within an If statement).

I could not find anything that can properly check for properties to exist...

The only ugly workaround is to create 3 scopes:

• Try  - try to access a property that might not exist. If it does not exist - we fail and go to the next step
  • Catch - Run only if the previous scope fails
  • Finally - Run in any case

Scopes.png

Created request for a function that check if property exists: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Add-an-ability-to-check-if-property-exists-in-an-obje...

Please, upvote if you face the same problem.

I haven't tested it yet, but @xilef suggests using '?' approach. Seems promising to me:

if(empty(body('ApprovalByAnyDirector')?['comments']), 'None', body('ApprovalByAnyDirector')?['comments'])

>