cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JojoS
Frequent Visitor

Daily Variable Increment on New Email Trigger

Hello, I have a flow that saves email attachment (on new email trigger, usually 1 attachment per email) to FTP. I would like the file name to be FileName#, where # increments from 1 but resets every day at midnight. Since there is no global variables, and I have a basic free account only (no SharePoint, OD for Business), I can't seem to find where to initialize/store the counter variable. I can increment it successfully - if email has multiple attachment, file names are 1, 2, 3... but since the variable is initialized inside the flow, it resets to 1 every time the flow starts (e.g. new email is received). Is upgrading the account my only option or is there a trick I haven't seen yet?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
edgonzales
Most Valuable Professional

@JojoS 

Actually, I came up with something much simpler.  Two different flows, but the core of both is a simple text file in your FTP folder called something like FileMax.txt.  The file contents could be something as simple as varFileName = 0.

The first flow has a recurrence trigger that runs at midnight every night, followed by an FTP Update File action.
20200817a.PNG

(I realized after I posted this, that I have two different file contents.  Pretend the one above says "varFileName = 0")

That will reset the counter back to zero each day.

The second flow is your thing just as you had it, but we'll set the initial number by using the FTP Get file content action and point it to your text file.  That will get you "varFileName = 0" which we can parse and add 1 to all in one step.  Put a compose after the get file content with this expression:

add(int(split(body('Get_file_content'),' = ')[1]),1)

Here's an explanation of that, and also a video on the Split() function:

20200817b.PNG

• Then you want to update your text file with the new starting number from the output of the compose above.  You can do this with an FTP Update File and in the File Content area, just have "varFileName = " and then the dynamic output from your compose above.  It should look like this:

20200817c.PNG

Which will update the text file and ready it for the next file:

20200817d.PNG

Give that a go, hopefully it's enough to get you going in the right direction.  Keep us posted either way.

-Ed

If you liked this reply, please give it a thumbs up! If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
edgonzales

@JojoS 

Hi there.  Do you have the date in the filename somehow?  I imagine something like that since each day you'd have a new file #1, right?  Here's my thought:

• Make your filename something like this:  yyyyMMdd_xxx where xxx is your increment number.
  • At the beginning of your flow, have a step to list the files in a folder (If there's an option for an OData filter in that action, you can 'pre-filter' the list by anything that begins with today's date in yyyyMMdd format.
  • If there's no OData filter on the FTP action, then add a Filter Array step.
  • A condition to see if the array is empty.  If yes, then your increment number is 1 or whatever the first in your series is.
  • In the No path (meaning the filter array is NOT empty), we can use split() to parse out the increment numbers, then sort that array... and then take the last element.
  • That number will be the base for your increment steps that you've already got in place.

I won't have time today, but tomorrow I'll work on building something and documenting it, but let me know if you want me to go into more detail in any of the steps.  It's tough to tell where folks are at on the learning journey.

Keep us posted.

-Ed

If you liked this reply, please give it a thumbs up! If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

Thank you for your reply on Sunday.

The file name should not have a date at all. The final file name will simply be image_1, image_2 and so on. The goal is also to not delete the files but rather overwrite them the next day.

I think I get your idea (basically purge the current FTP files and increment from there) but because I am trying to avoid having date in the file name, it will not work.

edgonzales

@JojoS,

Hey there.  Intent wasn't to purge, I just didn't know you wanted to overwrite existing files.  But...  if day 1 has 3 images, and day 2 only has 1, there will be two images in that folder that weren't from day 2.  Does that matter in your process?

-Ed

I used "purge" improperly. I meant to say parse.

I might be able to change somethings around delete all images at the end of the day. I will be experimenting this week. If you have time, drop a few details about your original suggestion - reading the FTP files and moving the file name to array (split with '_') so the next value for increment can be determined.

Thanks.

edgonzales

@JojoS 

Well, if you're not worried about the date, then you can just have the number be the filename right, then we'll use split() to get everything before the period and make that your array.  I'm trying to figure out how to make an FTP server right now, but I'll probably be able to build something tomorrow.

-Ed

edgonzales

@JojoS 

Actually, I came up with something much simpler.  Two different flows, but the core of both is a simple text file in your FTP folder called something like FileMax.txt.  The file contents could be something as simple as varFileName = 0.

The first flow has a recurrence trigger that runs at midnight every night, followed by an FTP Update File action.
20200817a.PNG

(I realized after I posted this, that I have two different file contents.  Pretend the one above says "varFileName = 0")

That will reset the counter back to zero each day.

The second flow is your thing just as you had it, but we'll set the initial number by using the FTP Get file content action and point it to your text file.  That will get you "varFileName = 0" which we can parse and add 1 to all in one step.  Put a compose after the get file content with this expression:

add(int(split(body('Get_file_content'),' = ')[1]),1)

Here's an explanation of that, and also a video on the Split() function:

20200817b.PNG

• Then you want to update your text file with the new starting number from the output of the compose above.  You can do this with an FTP Update File and in the File Content area, just have "varFileName = " and then the dynamic output from your compose above.  It should look like this:

20200817c.PNG

Which will update the text file and ready it for the next file:

20200817d.PNG

Give that a go, hopefully it's enough to get you going in the right direction.  Keep us posted either way.

-Ed

I can't believe I missed this. Exactly what I needed.

I actually expanded this and did slightly different logic (my case was broader than I explained. I increment the counter in a varriable called 'CounterCh1'. It does increment but it fails to write the file as I expected.

I am asking it to do this (CounterCh1 is int '1' at this point):

JojoS_0-1597716084877.png

I am expecting to see

Ch1Counter-1-

but instead, the file get's written with:

Ch1Counter-@variables('CounterCh1')-

Do you know why?

edgonzales

Try wrapping your dynamic value with single quotes and let me know if that works.  If so, I'll need to adjust the article I just wrote 😛

20200817j.PNG

Here's a link to the article for more detail: Modeling a Global Variable Without Variables in Power Automate / Flow

Keep us posted.

-Ed

Nope. All it did is added quotes:

JojoS_0-1597716764539.png

@edgonzales 

And same results when using Output of compose.

JojoS_0-1597772682442.png

@edgonzales 

edgonzales

@JojoS 

That's really bizarre, I've tried it a couple of different ways on my side and it works without the quotes.

Zoom out a little so we can see the whole action in the edit mode, please?  I'm wondering if we need to convert the data before trying to add it to the file content...not sure.

Anyway, post the pic of the whole step and we'll see what it looks like.  Also, take a look at the output of the variable to make sure it's got the right data inside of it.

-Ed

I have no idea. My variable clearly has value of 1 as seen in the test screenshots below.

Coded:

JojoS_3-1597782640265.png

Test Result:

JojoS_0-1597782407664.png

JojoS_2-1597782547082.png

edgonzales

Ok, I think what you're seeing is a bug that was just reported by someone else today.  I'll add this example to the list and hopefully it will be resolved soon.  Your flow looks to be set up correctly, so once this is resolved, all should be well.

-Ed

Deleted.

edgonzales

@JojoS 

Hi there.  I got a tip from another MVP to try this:

If you're using the default expression editor (looks like the picture below), try switching to the new editor.

20200819a.PNG

To do that, click on the gear icon at the top right of your Power Automate screen and click "View all Power Automate settings"

20200819b.PNG

At the bottom of the pop-up, there is a switch to turn on Experimental Features (as of this date, the new editor is in Preview).  Turn that on, and Power Automate will want to reload the page (so make sure you've saved your work).  Then try rebuilding your update file step.  The new editor should look like this (but it doesn't format your expressions automatically):

20200819c.PNG

Give that a go and let us know how that turns out.  If you already had the new editor, try switching back to the old one.  I was using the new one when I built my demo, so I'm hoping this is the issue.  Good luck!

-Ed

I got it working with this expression in the create file:

concat('Ch1Counter-',variables('CounterCh1'),'-')

JojoS
Frequent Visitor

@edgonzales 

Another minor issue: How do I insert new line in the text file? Adding new line in the contents doesn't do it. Some users are saying that uriComponentToString('%0A') (0A is hex for Carriage Return aka \n) but while it did show the new line in the results output, it doesn't reflect in the txt output file.

edgonzales

@JojoS 

Are you wanting to append something to the text file?  Not sure about that one, you might want to start a new thread.  One idea might be to store a carriage return in a variable, and then use that variable at the beginning of your contact().

-Ed

Helpful resources

Announcements

Community Roundup: A Look Back at Our Last 10 Tuesday Tips

As we continue to grow and learn together, it's important to reflect on the valuable insights we've shared. For today's #TuesdayTip, we're excited to take a moment to look back at the last 10 tips we've shared in case you missed any or want to revisit them. Thanks for your incredible support for this series--we're so glad it was able to help so many of you navigate your community experience!   Getting Started in the Community An overview of everything you need to know about navigating the community on one page!  Community Links: ○ Power Apps ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio    Community Ranks and YOU Have you ever wondered how your fellow community members ascend the ranks within our community? We explain everything about ranks and how to achieve points so you can climb up in the rankings! Community Links: ○ Power Apps ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio    Powering Up Your Community Profile Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile. Community Links: ○ Power Apps ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio    Community Blogs--A Great Place to Start There's so much you'll discover in the Community Blogs, and we hope you'll check them out today!  Community Links: ○ Power Apps ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio    Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges Across the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. Check out some details on Community badges--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article! Community Links: ○ Power Apps  ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio    Blogging in the Community Interested in blogging? Everything you need to know on writing blogs in our four communities! Get started blogging across the Power Platform communities today! Community Links: ○ Power Apps  ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio   Subscriptions & Notifications We don't want you to miss a thing in the community! Read all about how to subscribe to sections of our forums and how to setup your notifications! Community Links: ○ Power Apps  ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio   Getting Started with Private Messages & Macros Do you want to enhance your communication in the Community and streamline your interactions? One of the best ways to do this is to ensure you are using Private Messaging--and the ever-handy macros that are available to you as a Community member! Community Links: ○ Power Apps  ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio   Community User Groups Learn everything about being part of, starting, or leading a User Group in the Power Platform Community. Community Links: ○ Power Apps  ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio   Update Your Community Profile Today! Keep your community profile up to date which is essential for staying connected and engaged with the community. Community Links: ○ Power Apps  ○ Power Automate  ○ Power Pages  ○ Copilot Studio   Thank you for being an integral part of our journey.   Here's to many more Tuesday Tips as we pave the way for a brighter, more connected future! As always, watch the News & Announcements for the next set of tips, coming soon!    

Calling all User Group Leaders and Super Users! Mark Your Calendars for the next Community Ambassador Call on May 9th!

This month's Community Ambassador call is on May 9th at 9a & 3p PDT. Please keep an eye out in your private messages and Teams channels for your invitation. There are lots of exciting updates coming to the Community, and we have some exclusive opportunities to share with you! As always, we'll also review regular updates for User Groups, Super Users, and share general information about what's going on in the Community.     Be sure to register & we hope to see all of you there!

April 2024 Community Newsletter

We're pleased to share the April Community Newsletter, where we highlight the latest news, product releases, upcoming events, and the amazing work of our outstanding Community members.   If you're new to the Community, please make sure to follow the latest News & Announcements and check out the Community on LinkedIn as well! It's the best way to stay up-to-date with all the news from across Microsoft Power Platform and beyond.    COMMUNITY HIGHLIGHTS   Check out the most active community members of the last month! These hardworking members are posting regularly, answering questions, kudos, and providing top solutions in their communities. We are so thankful for each of you--keep up the great work! If you hope to see your name here next month, follow these awesome community members to see what they do!   Power AppsPower AutomateCopilot StudioPower PagesWarrenBelzDeenujialexander2523ragavanrajanLaurensMManishSolankiMattJimisonLucas001AmikcapuanodanilostephenrobertOliverRodriguestimlAndrewJManikandanSFubarmmbr1606VishnuReddy1997theMacResolutionsVishalJhaveriVictorIvanidzejsrandhawahagrua33ikExpiscornovusFGuerrero1PowerAddictgulshankhuranaANBExpiscornovusprathyooSpongYeNived_Nambiardeeksha15795apangelesGochixgrantjenkinsvasu24Mfon   LATEST NEWS   Business Applications Launch Event - On Demand In case you missed the Business Applications Launch Event, you can now catch up on all the announcements and watch the entire event on-demand inside Charles Lamanna's latest cloud blog.   This is your one stop shop for all the latest Copilot features across Power Platform and #Dynamics365, including first-hand looks at how companies such as Lenovo, Sonepar, Ford Motor Company, Omnicom and more are using these new capabilities in transformative ways. Click the image below to watch today!   Power Platform Community Conference 2024 is here! It's time to look forward to the next installment of the Power Platform Community Conference, which takes place this year on 18-20th September 2024 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas!   Come and be inspired by Microsoft senior thought leaders and the engineers behind the #PowerPlatform, with Charles Lamanna, Sangya Singh, Ryan Cunningham, Kim Manis, Nirav Shah, Omar Aftab and Leon Welicki already confirmed to speak. You'll also be able to learn from industry experts and Microsoft MVPs who are dedicated to bridging the gap between humanity and technology. These include the likes of Lisa Crosbie, Victor Dantas, Kristine Kolodziejski, David Yack, Daniel Christian, Miguel Félix, and Mats Necker, with many more to be announced over the coming weeks.   Click here to watch our brand-new sizzle reel for #PPCC24 or click the image below to find out more about registration. See you in Vegas!       Power Up Program Announces New Video-Based Learning Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram. These include a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the image below to find out more!   UPCOMING EVENTS Microsoft Build - Seattle and Online - 21-23rd May 2024 Taking place on 21-23rd May 2024 both online and in Seattle, this is the perfect event to learn more about low code development, creating copilots, cloud platforms, and so much more to help you unleash the power of AI.   There's a serious wealth of talent speaking across the three days, including the likes of Satya Nadella, Amanda K. Silver, Scott Guthrie, Sarah Bird, Charles Lamanna, Miti J., Kevin Scott, Asha Sharma, Rajesh Jha, Arun Ulag, Clay Wesener, and many more.   And don't worry if you can't make it to Seattle, the event will be online and totally free to join. Click the image below to register for #MSBuild today!   European Collab Summit - Germany - 14-16th May 2024 The clock is counting down to the amazing European Collaboration Summit, which takes place in Germany May 14-16, 2024. #CollabSummit2024 is designed to provide cutting-edge insights and best practices into Power Platform, Microsoft 365, Teams, Viva, and so much more. There's a whole host of experts speakers across the three-day event, including the likes of Vesa Juvonen, Laurie Pottmeyer, Dan Holme, Mark Kashman, Dona Sarkar, Gavin Barron, Emily Mancini, Martina Grom, Ahmad Najjar, Liz Sundet, Nikki Chapple, Sara Fennah, Seb Matthews, Tobias Martin, Zoe Wilson, Fabian Williams, and many more.   Click the image below to find out more about #ECS2024 and register today!     Microsoft 365 & Power Platform Conference - Seattle - 3-7th June If you're looking to turbo boost your Power Platform skills this year, why not take a look at everything TechCon365 has to offer at the Seattle Convention Center on June 3-7, 2024.   This amazing 3-day conference (with 2 optional days of workshops) offers over 130 sessions across multiple tracks, alongside 25 workshops presented by Power Platform, Microsoft 365, Microsoft Teams, Viva, Azure, Copilot and AI experts. There's a great array of speakers, including the likes of Nirav Shah, Naomi Moneypenny, Jason Himmelstein, Heather Cook, Karuana Gatimu, Mark Kashman, Michelle Gilbert, Taiki Y., Kristi K., Nate Chamberlain, Julie Koesmarno, Daniel Glenn, Sarah Haase, Marc Windle, Amit Vasu, Joanne C Klein, Agnes Molnar, and many more.   Click the image below for more #Techcon365 intel and register today!     For more events, click the image below to visit the Microsoft Community Days website.      

Tuesday Tip | Update Your Community Profile Today!

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   We're excited to announce that updating your community profile has never been easier! Keeping your profile up to date is essential for staying connected and engaged with the community.   Check out the following Support Articles with these topics: Accessing Your Community ProfileRetrieving Your Profile URLUpdating Your Community Profile Time ZoneChanging Your Community Profile Picture (Avatar)Setting Your Date Display Preferences Click on your community link for more information: Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Pages, Copilot Studio   Thank you for being an active part of our community. Your contributions make a difference! Best Regards, The Community Management Team

Hear what's next for the Power Up Program

Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram, including a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the link below to sign up today! https://aka.ms/PowerUp  

Super User of the Month | Ahmed Salih

We're thrilled to announce that Ahmed Salih is our Super User of the Month for April 2024. Ahmed has been one of our most active Super Users this year--in fact, he kicked off the year in our Community with this great video reminder of why being a Super User has been so important to him!   Ahmed is the Senior Power Platform Architect at Saint Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Memphis. He's been a Super User for two seasons and is also a Microsoft MVP! He's celebrating his 3rd year being active in the Community--and he's received more than 500 kudos while authoring nearly 300 solutions. Ahmed's contributions to the Super User in Training program has been invaluable, with his most recent session with SUIT highlighting an incredible amount of best practices and tips that have helped him achieve his success.   Ahmed's infectious enthusiasm and boundless energy are a key reason why so many Community members appreciate how he brings his personality--and expertise--to every interaction. With all the solutions he provides, his willingness to help the Community learn more about Power Platform, and his sheer joy in life, we are pleased to celebrate Ahmed and all his contributions! You can find him in the Community and on LinkedIn. Congratulations, Ahmed--thank you for being a SUPER user!

Users online (12,274)