cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Extract Multi choice Values from SharePoint List and Add Individual Values to Available Empty Columns in Same List

I have a list with a Lookup column (CC Category) that allows multiple choice options. I am trying to create a flow to separate the choices into individual columns so that I can use the values in an embed web part. I first created my primary list with the lookup column and a single additional blank column to update and that worked fine. I was then asked to allow for multiple choices on the lookup field but getting the individual values into separate columns has posed an issue. The idea I had was to just create 6 additional columns (CC1 CC2 CC3 CC4 CC5 and CC6) and if the CC Category Column had 3 values selected, the flow would just Update the first 3 empty columns (CC1 CC2 and CC3) I the list. I can get the values from the CC Category column in a flow and even put them into an Array, but I do not know how to use them.  

Flow1.jpgFlow2.jpgFlow3.jpgFlow4.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Extract Multi choice Values from SharePoint List and Add Individual Values to Available Empty Columns in Same List

Hi @jrtraylor,

Since the variable('category')['1'] is trying to extract a value from an array that just has a member -- ["choice1"], the same thing, the following expression will also fail, cause there is no value in the array.

As a workaround, you could append all category values into the array. Then use length() function to get the length of the array to check number, then use Switch action guide to the corresponding Update item branch. If the number is 1, update the C1, etc.

So you should create 5 Update item actions.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Extract Multi choice Values from SharePoint List and Add Individual Values to Available Empty Columns in Same List

Hi @jrtraylor,

Since the variable('category')['1'] is trying to extract a value from an array that just has a member -- ["choice1"], the same thing, the following expression will also fail, cause there is no value in the array.

As a workaround, you could append all category values into the array. Then use length() function to get the length of the array to check number, then use Switch action guide to the corresponding Update item branch. If the number is 1, update the C1, etc.

So you should create 5 Update item actions.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thank You, that is what I ended up doing. Checked the Length of the Array and used it in a condition 5 times. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
FirstImage

Microsoft Ignite 2020

Check out the announcement of Power Platform content at Microsoft Ignite!

thirdImage

Experience what's new for Power Automate

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Automate features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (10,119)