cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spinner
Advocate II
Advocate II

Get Teams conversation associated with Lists item

I'm trying to set up a simple issue tracker using the template in Microsoft Lists.

Items in Microsoft Lists now have the ability to have an associated conversation, as shown in the screenshot.

Teams_ZkdevY1D2W.png

What I'd like is:

1. a dedicated Issue channel in a Microsoft Teams (done)
  2. a flow that takes new conversations in the Issue channel and based on the message content, creates a new issue in the list (done)
  3. for the flow to replace the new issue item's associated conversation with the conversation that was already started in the channel

Part 3 is where I'm struggling. I can't find where the association between the item and its conversation is stored. It doesn't appear to be in a visible column in the backing SharePoint list. Any ideas where I can find this, so I can use it in a flow?

EDIT: I've discovered that you can add the same list to multiple channels and have different conversations for the item in each channel. This means, presumably, that the association is not being stored in the SharePoint list, but is being stored somewhere in the Teams channel - perhaps in a message.

EDIT 2: According to this Microsoft representative, "if you comment on a list item, those comments are stored within the list schema itself; think of it as an additional column of data per row." How, then, can one access that data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
chasestreetdev
Helper II
Helper II

This question has been driving me crazy too, because it's such a great way to keep comms about a workflow organized without having to create weird new columns. You can absolutely replace the Message Id in a Conversation object that's stored in SharePoint and associated with the list item... it's just not documented by Microsoft for some reason. 

You can make an HTTP request to SharePoint to designate which message thread will show up in the conversation tab. I attempted to write up the whole process. It seems complicated at first, but it works consistently and I'm now using it to make my business's comms about list items run more smoothly -- I'm basically using this exactly the way you just described.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
FCGALLEG
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Spinner, 

The lists are saved in sharepoint:

Lists and SharePoint

Lists data is stored in the SharePoint Online team site. To learn more about how SharePoint Online interacts with Teams, see How SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business interact with Teams.

I would like to share this document with you.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/manage-lists-app

Regards,

JAvier

@FCGALLEG  Thank you for the reply, but as I indicated in my original message, I already know that the list is held in SharePoint. What I'm trying to find is where the link between a list item and a Teams conversation is held.

chasestreetdev
Helper II
Helper II

This question has been driving me crazy too, because it's such a great way to keep comms about a workflow organized without having to create weird new columns. You can absolutely replace the Message Id in a Conversation object that's stored in SharePoint and associated with the list item... it's just not documented by Microsoft for some reason. 

You can make an HTTP request to SharePoint to designate which message thread will show up in the conversation tab. I attempted to write up the whole process. It seems complicated at first, but it works consistently and I'm now using it to make my business's comms about list items run more smoothly -- I'm basically using this exactly the way you just described.

Thanks @chasestreetdev - that looks good. I hope Microsoft set up an 'official' way to do this but this should suffice in the meantime.

(Very minor point: in the section on finding channel ID, I think you mean "at sign" rather than "ampersand".)

@Spinner Thanks for the catch, I'll fix it now! That's what I get for trying to write at 1am. The whole thing makes me wonder what other fun undocumented tricks there are...

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power automate tips 768x460 v2.png

Restore a Deleted Flow

Did you know that you could restore a deleted flow? Check out this helpful article.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Users online (1,363)