cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
StevenWade
Level: Powered On

How to: make certain Outputs non-required on Sharepoint 'For a selected item' trigger

Wanted to share an issue I recently ran into, and a quick fix. 

By default, all of the outputs you add to a SharePoint 'For a selected item' trigger are required, and there's no method to change the outputs to non-required via the UI. However, if you need a non-required output and you're willing to get into the json, you can change an output to non-required with the following steps:

• Export your Flow
  • Edit the 'Definition.json' in the export zip package to remove the output fields you want to make non-required from the "required" property of the 'For a selected item' trigger 
  • Re-import the Flow package

This makes the fields optional when the end user triggers the Flow.

Just be aware that the 'For a selected item' trigger will not pass any fields that were left blank into the Flow. So, your Flow needs to check for the presence of a field in the trigger output (using a contains()) before attempting to manipulate the field contents.

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: How to: make certain Outputs non-required on Sharepoint 'For a selected item' trigger

Hi @StevenWade,

Thanks for sharing.

It seems that what you shared works perfectly.

Best regards,

Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
StevenWade

Re: How to: make certain Outputs non-required on Sharepoint 'For a selected item' trigger

Thanks! Was just sharing here in case others had the same issue.

beginAgain

Thank you for this - was searching for this very thing and ran across your article.

beginAgain

Hello,

I am able to alter the JSON file ok and that works great and I have 3 optional emails now in my flow. I understand what he means when he says "Just be aware that the 'For a selected item' trigger will not pass any fields that were left blank into the Flow." So how do I check that a field doesn't exist in the trigger output? In a condition I have tried:

@contains(triggerBody(), triggerBody()?['email'])

AND

@contains(triggerBody()?['entity']?['value'], triggerBody()?['email'])

So bottom line I just need help with figuring out how to tell if the field (in this case email) object is missing from the "For a selected item" object

Anyone have any ideas? Any help will be appreciated

Thank you

beginAgain

Got the correct syntax from @StevenWade

My expression was too complex I guess, the below worked for me.

@contains(triggerBody(), '[email]')

He also referenced another article that says this will work:

@contains(triggerBody(), 'email')

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Check-triggerBody-for-existence-of-a-property-wit...

HTH - Cheers 🙂

StevenWade

Just be aware that you are looking for a literal text string within the trigger body -- @contains() is not JSON aware. That means you need to ensure some uniqueness within your variable names. In your 'email' example, @contains() would return TRUE if someone populated "email', 'email1', or 'email2'; or, if they just used the word 'email' in one of the text responses. Basing your conditional tests on generic variable names may generate errors or unexpected results.

This is a workable hack, and I've used it in several different scenarios. Just make sure you're using unique variable names.

beginAgain

Good advice ty 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,822)